iMovie 7.1.1 Problem

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Kashchei, Apr 22, 2008.

1. Kashchei macrumors 65816

Kashchei

I was importing video yesterday to add to a previous file. The video imported just fine and then an extra half-hour was required while the computer rendered it (I think that's what it told me it was doing). By the end of the half hour, I had the spinning beach ball and had to force quite iMovie. Now when I try to open the file, the new video shows up as blank (grey) film, although if I click the mouse in this large area, I can see the video. The problem is that every action I try to the file--whether it is to the previous normal video or to the new grey video--required massive waiting time with the spinning beach ball. Any thoughts on what I might do to get this file working normally again?

2. -DH macrumors 65816

What is the source of the new file you added? What codec is it?

-DH

3. Kashchei thread starter macrumors 65816

Kashchei

It was imported from a Mini DV camcorder recording.

4. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

Is the resolution and frame rate the same as the project you're appending it to? If it has to go through and render when you capture it sounds like you're doing some 4:3 to 16:9 conversion or vice-versa.

5. Kashchei thread starter macrumors 65816

Kashchei

I didn't think I had changed settings--I usually record at 16:9--but it is entirely possible that I did this inadvertently

6. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

Is your iMovie project 16:9?

7. Kashchei thread starter macrumors 65816

Kashchei

I'll have to check tomorrow when I'm back at work. Thanks so much for your help in the meantime. And I'm very happy to see someone describe Santa Barbara as the American Riviera (I assume from your screen name that you are affiliated with UCSB, my alma mater).

8. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

I've accidentally started new projects that were 4:3, and the letterboxing took a long time when I captured widescreen anamorphic video.

Yep, indeed I too am a UCSB grad, and am lucky enough to still be living here. :)

9. Kashchei thread starter macrumors 65816

Kashchei

I double-checked and it seems that the project in iMovie is 16:9, and my camcorder was set the same way. I don't know if this helps to diagnose the problem or not, but there it is. Any helpful suggestions are greatly appreciated!