iMovie 9 doesn't like my new camcorder :(

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by garfage, May 19, 2011.

1. garfage macrumors newbie

Hi, newbie here. I have a new HD camcorder, the Samsung Q10, which is an MPEG 4 H.264 device. I connect it to my iMac and iMovie can't seem to cope with it. It tries to import the movie files, 'imported' appears underneath the thumbnails, then it stops and says there was an error and I need to 'review' the clips. What could be going wrong here? Please don't tell me I have to lash out £70 for iLife, which I am sure has more than I really need - or even pay the £35 Apple wants for support... Thoughts, suggestions help very gratefully received!!

2. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

Firstly, I would upgrade to iMovie11. It's only about £8 from the App Store, and so much better than 9.

Secondly h.264 video is not made for editing. I would advise that you import it into Finder and then use MPEGStreamclip and export to Quicktime using the Apple Intermediate Codec option.

3. Kenndac macrumors 6502

Kenndac

Try upgrading to iMovie '11 first. While it's true that h.264 video isn't designed for editing, my iMovie '11 handles HD h.264 just fine. Needlessly re-encoding everything seems a little OTT.