imovie 9 video problem...

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by ocnitsa, Jan 24, 2011.

1. ocnitsa macrumors regular

I'm working with a mp4 that someone gave me that was shot sideways...they wanted me to rotate the video...I've imported the video into iMovie and exported it...The quality is worse than the video I started with...Is there some setting in Share that I have wrong? I've been using Share Export Movie via Quicktime...and from there I've tried different things...the original resolution is 640x480 (480x640 actual) and the file is 100 megs or larger...when I go to export the resulting file is 10 megs and the resolution is 478x391...Any ideas on what could be the problem? Does it have something to do with the resolution getting degraded when the video is rotated?
    Any help would be appreciated...I'm not even sure if I reported enough info...

2. huntercr macrumors 65816

What are your export settings and by what method are you rotating it?

3. YoTeach macrumors newbie

I'll make a few assumptions here...

I will assume that you used iMovie to rotate the clip
    I will also assume that your friend who shot it has less technical knowhow than you do (or he/she would have done it themselves)
    I will make one more assumption: They want to do something with this video later (include it in an anthology, watch it on their computer, post it to youtube or Facebook.

Best bet, export it the way you got it - mp4
    • Under the share menu choose iTunes
    • Pick the largest option available (large, etc.)
    • When it finishes iTunes will open, import the file, and begin playing it
    • Press esc to stop the movie from playing
    • Control click the movie file in iTunes
      [*](hold the control button while you click, it's the same as right clicking if you have a two button mouse) ​
    • Choose "Reveal in Finder" from the options that appear
    • Finder opens to the folder that contains it, so you control click the file and choose "Burn "filename" to disc.
    • Put in a blank CD (it's probably a small clip) and let 'er rip!
    I hope this helps!

4. ocnitsa thread starter macrumors regular

A preliminary experiment looks like it did much better than my previous attempts...Your assumptions were all true.

Thanks!