Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Feb 20, 2009
iMovie beginner here, I apologize for the simplicity of the question.

iMovie 9
OS 10.11.6 El Capitan
MacBook Pro 2015

What I want to do:
Import a single jpg from desktop into iMovie.
Not from iPhoto or Photos, but a pic right from a folder on the desktop

What I've done:
Gone to the import photo pane - ok
Added folder which contains jpg - ok
Dragged that jpg into project window area - ok
The clip now appears in the project window - ok
BUT...

What's wrong:
The photo doesn't "show up" in the "viewer" to the right
The photo doesn't appear when I click the spacebar to "play through" it.

I'm doing something wrong.
What is it?
Do the imported photos have to be in a certain format?
If so, which one?
I notice that if I try to edit the photo's "properties", all I see in "the editing window" is a solid color, not the pic itself.

Any guidance appreciated.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Feb 20, 2009
Here's a followup to the original post above.

I did some researching on the net, and found that with El Capitan (and later, I think), iMovie 09 will not properly import a jpg -unless- it is 1080p (or, perhaps, smaller) in size.

OK, but...
...how does one -controllably- crop an image to 1920x1080?

By "controllably", I mean I'd like to "crop out" within the image the selection I want (for my 1080p file).
However, simply drawing a "crop rectangle" tool across an image will not produce a result that is EXACTLY 1920x1080.

I understand that Photoshop can do this, but I don't need PS and I don't feel like paying for it to simply resize a few images to use in iMovie.

Are there any other Mac-specific apps or tools "out there" that can do this to "prep" photos for importing into iMovie?

steve123

macrumors 65816
Aug 26, 2007
Here's a followup to the original post above.

I did some researching on the net, and found that with El Capitan (and later, I think), iMovie 09 will not properly import a jpg -unless- it is 1080p (or, perhaps, smaller) in size.

OK, but...
...how does one -controllably- crop an image to 1920x1080?

By "controllably", I mean I'd like to "crop out" within the image the selection I want (for my 1080p file).
However, simply drawing a "crop rectangle" tool across an image will not produce a result that is EXACTLY 1920x1080.

I understand that Photoshop can do this, but I don't need PS and I don't feel like paying for it to simply resize a few images to use in iMovie.

Are there any other Mac-specific apps or tools "out there" that can do this to "prep" photos for importing into iMovie?

There are a few. Affinity Photos and Pixelmator should be able to do this for you.

kohlson

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2010
If you just want to resize, use the Preview app which comes with every Mac. Does this and other simple edit things, too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.