imovie and a digital frame to play videos

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by halfmonkey, Jun 6, 2014.

1. halfmonkey macrumors regular

I have a couple of digital frames that are video capable and they say that they play mpeg4 and avi videos. I tired just copying the unedited videos from my files onto a usb stick and they wouldn't play. I then dig a little more digging on line and I was able to find a support page that gave me instructions on using the imovie program to get it to work. The problem is, it was a walk through using an older version and the command, Export Using QuickTime. It seems that the latest version of imovie doesn't have this command anymore.

Does anybody know how I can export a video and have control over the settings like how the command Export Using QuickTime used to have?

Would Handbrake be able to offer something similar to the command?

2. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

If you Share from the latest iMovie and choose the File option, the resulting movie is an .mp4 file also known as mpeg-4.

3. halfmonkey thread starter macrumors regular

I already tired that last night and it didn't work.

Here is a link to the specific instructions. https://support.nixplay.com/entries/22048571-Tips-for-Mac-Users-on-Video-Conversion

According to the instructions, there are specific settings to use in order for the video to play on the digital frame such as a size of 720 x 576, frame rate and some other settings and I can't seem to select those settings by using the Share to File command.

Any other thoughts?

4. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

I see what you are trying to do and it can not be done with the newest version of iMovie. It can be done by exporting the the movie as an .mp4 file also known as mpeg-4 as Dave Braine stated.

With the .mp4 file, you can open it in QuickTime Player 7 Pro and do everything that you want in the link that you supplied. Which will give you the end result you require.

5. halfmonkey thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the information. It looks like what was included in the previous version of iMovie is now sold as separate through quicktime 7 pro. It appears that it'll cost me $30 and there's no proof that will even work. I may have to walk into an Apple store to see if they have it installed on an iMac and maybe ask if I bring my own usb drive, connect it, and try to do a conversion. If they let me and I take the usb stick home and it works, then I'll but it. :confused:

6. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

I have QuickTime 7 Pro and it will work. I have posted some attachments below to show you it works perfect in QuickTime 7 Pro. I could do everything in your supplied link and then some. QuickTime 7 Pro is a good app that does no get a lot of recognition, but I use it on occasion for quick things that need to be done and find it invaluable.

Still feel free to go check it out if you want, but I am sure you will end up getting it in the end. I have owned it for several years and really like it.

Attached Files:

7. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

You have the new QuickTime Player aka QuickTime X. It can be used for minor edits and video file format conversions. Try it first.

8. halfmonkey thread starter macrumors regular

I did. That's why I tried downloading the QT Pro 7 but all of the commands have a greyed out PRO next to them so I'm assuming that those commands are only accessible when you upgrade to the paid version.

9. halfmonkey thread starter macrumors regular

Those screenshot are the exact same thing that my link showed so it looks like it's going to work exactly how the old iMovie was set to work.