imovie and editing questions...

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by boriginal, Feb 2, 2012.

1. boriginal macrumors newbie

I'm hoping somebody can help...

I have been involved with music for sometime, and recording and designing graphics w/ macs for a few years now. I am now getting into music videos. I've been making viral videos using After Effects and typography and imovie works just fine...

but now for a music video I have shot my footage, made adjustments with After Effects and then imported the footage into imovie. The sound and footage jitters, and then the audio stops And its hard to sync the audio right. I've tried to work around this by scrubbing through and finding where i need to be, but when i export the movie, the audio is still is not in sync.

I have a macbook with a 2.2 core 2 duo and 4 gb with 160 gigs free on the harddrive

Can someone please tell me what is wrong, and if not that, then what is another cheap option to be able to edit video and get the audio to sync with the music. SO FRUSTRATING!

2. ppc_michael Guest

ppc_michael

What format are you outputting from After Effects to bring in to iMovie? Also, can you post an example of the problem on YouTube?

3. boriginal thread starter macrumors newbie

.mov

the footage appears fine after rendered, but in the timeline, i can't preview accurately. When i hit the space bar, it plays for a second, then stops, the audio continues to play and the current area indicated by the line continues to move forward but does not show up in the preview window.

when i was editing together content created strictly in After Effects this does not happen, of course there is no sound in that content. Except for whatever audio I slap on top of it, but with that it accuracy doesn't matter long as much.

Obviously with a music video I need to sync the audio track to the native audio of the recording for an quality music video. I don't get that when i render what i have.

4. simsaladimbamba

And what codec and settings do you use in the Render Queue? And what format and codec does the source footage use?

5. boriginal, Feb 2, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2012

boriginal thread starter macrumors newbie

quicktime and under video codec it says: animation is whats in the Render Queue

Either mpg or 3gp is the source footage.

*edit* and mpeg 4 is the codec of the source footage sorry

6. simsaladimbamba

Try the Apple Intermediate Codec instead of the Animation Codec, thus iMovie does not need to transcode the exported file it imports again.

7. boriginal thread starter macrumors newbie

trying it out...

----------

Well not sure if this is a good sign, but the previous way it would render in a few min, right now its saying 30 mins

8. simsaladimbamba

Did it work?

9. boriginal thread starter macrumors newbie

unfortunately no

10. simsaladimbamba

How does the exported .mov using AIC as codec look while playing back in QT Player?

11. boriginal thread starter macrumors newbie

I have no problems playing content before I put them in After Effects, after AE, nor after imovie. Its just within imovie, the preview does not play correctly.

12. simsaladimbamba

Hm, does that mean, that when you edit that footage (exported from AE and imported into iMovie) in iMovie and watch it, does not play correctly (that is what I understand), but once you export a finished video, it looks okay again?Then I guess, that iMovie is the culprit, as it just has a not so good video display.

13. boriginal thread starter macrumors newbie

Correct, the only the wrong with the imovie edited footage is even while i scrub through it and find the beats and sounds to line up the imported audio, after it is exported it isn't right, it the footage looks fine but looks retarded cuz the person singing is off from the audio.

so back to my other question is there a cheap/reasonably priced option i can use til i can afford the big dog editing software?

14. simsaladimbamba

You can try the 30-day trial of FCP X, it is fully functional as far as I know, if your project takes less than 30 days to edit.
    Or you could try to find a used version of FCE on eBay or Craigslist.
    Or you could try the 30-day trial of Premiere Pro.
    Or the trial of Avid Media Composer.

Other than that, I don't know of any cheap video editing software, except maybe Premiere Elements.

15. boriginal thread starter macrumors newbie

i'm using imovie 09, is imovie 11 anybetter? any opinions?

16. simsaladimbamba

As I don't use iMovie, I can't comment on that. Maybe you find something via Advanced Search.

Maybe have a look at Advanced Search to find similar threads:
    [​IMG]

17. boriginal thread starter macrumors newbie

thx i'll try that, other than the probable learning curve I will be able to edit it in a few days

18. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

iMovie 11 is substantially better. I didn't like iMovie 08 or 09 at all, the 2011 version integrates a wider array of editing features that went missing from iMovie HD to 08. I highly recommend it, even before going to FCP X.

19. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

Certainly for control and editing of audio.