imovie and external hard drives

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by slgdavis, Oct 3, 2010.

1. slgdavis macrumors newbie

I am using Imovie 09 with a mac book pro. I am copying video onto imovie and because of size saving onto an external drive. However, when I go to view the movie on the external it is slugglish because of size. Is there a way around this? Also what is the best format for sharing as far as size is concerned. I am the only one viewing the films but the quality has to be good. what do you recommend. I want to view the films on the computer,not iphone or other such device.

2. Mr Kram macrumors 68000

Mr Kram

i store all my imovie content on an eternal HD. i use firewire 800 and have no issue whatsoever.

3. LaurenL macrumors newbie

Trouble transferring from hard drive onto imovie

My macbook pro recently crashed. I bought an external hard drive and had a mac shop transfer all the data onto this. I bought a new macbook pro and am now trying to transfer from the hard drive to my new computer. I can open imovie events. These open with Quicktime Player. But I cannot open my imovie projects. I would be so bummed if all of that editing went to waste. Hopefully there is just some step I am missing? I am using imovie version 9