iMovie and Final Cut Pro Events

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Revilo118, May 12, 2012.

1. Revilo118 macrumors newbie

Revilo118

I'm starting to run out of space on my hard drive and using grand perspective its clear that videos are taking up most of my space. I switched to final cut pro from imovie a while back but my imovie events folder still has alot of files in it.

I was wondering if I need to keep these files and if final cut pro uses them in any way? I know that final cut pro has its own events folder so if I'm never going to use imovie again I should be able to delete all of its events right?

I would appreciate any help you can give me

Also if anyone has any other tips on space saving with final cut pro, they would be really useful as my events folder is nearly 300GB, I don't know if I did or should have compressed the videos somehow when I imported them?

Thanks!

2. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

With iMovie, you get the choice of storing imported Events on an external drive. Do you not get that choice with Final Cut?

3. Ifti macrumors 68000

Yes you can do the same with Final Cut Pro. Whether I use iMovie or Final Cut (bear in mind final cut imported ProRes video is much bigger then imovie's AIC codec) my events and projects are always stored, and run, from my external FireWire800 HDD.
    I've found that even by using an external drive, as long as its FireWire800, I generally see no difference to using the internal drive.

4. Revilo118 thread starter macrumors newbie

Revilo118

Should I be able to delete the imovie events if I'm only going to be using final cut?

5. Revilo118 thread starter macrumors newbie

Revilo118

6. Ifti macrumors 68000

You can either import them into Final Cut, or delete them if you no longer need them.

7. GSPice macrumors 68000

GSPice

^this - if you don't want the video, delete it.

And think about getting a larger storage solution. 300GB is really nothing for video. Especially if you're moving to FCPX. "Saving space" with Final Cut is not exactly a question you should have to worry about.

8. Revilo118 thread starter macrumors newbie

Revilo118

I think I already imported them all when I first started up final cut. This looks like it copied all of them into the final cut pro events folder so final cut shouldn't in any way be using the imovie events still should it?

Sorry to keep asking but I just want to be sure that if I delete them it wont affect anything

9. Ifti macrumors 68000

No final cut has it's own folders, so when you imported the events from imovie they would have been copied across to the final cut folder.
    You can safely remove the iMovie folder.

10. Revilo118 thread starter macrumors newbie

Revilo118

Thankyou!!!