iMovie and Garageband

kartnite

macrumors member
Original poster
So, finally got my hands on my new rMBP (15" base model) earlier this week.

Was able to download a few updates - incl Mavericks 10.9.1, Keynote, Numbers, Pages, etc.

Here's something I noticed - After downloading/updating iPhoto and iMovie, the older version of iMovie (9.0.9) is stored in a file on the Hard Disk (happened to notice while browsing via Finder).

Is this the same with everyone?

I am yet to update Garageband - just wanted to ask if updating will keep the older version as has been the case with iMovie.

Funnily, iPhoto's older version was not saved.

PS: Still getting my head around the new environment (switching from WinXP). Any advice on "must have" apps would help. Thanks! :)

bgro

macrumors 65816
Jul 6, 2010
South Florida
So, finally got my hands on my new rMBP (15" base model) earlier this week.

Was able to download a few updates - incl Mavericks 10.9.1, Keynote, Numbers, Pages, etc.

Here's something I noticed - After downloading/updating iPhoto and iMovie, the older version of iMovie (9.0.9) is stored in a file on the Hard Disk (happened to notice while browsing via Finder).

Is this the same with everyone?

I am yet to update Garageband - just wanted to ask if updating will keep the older version as has been the case with iMovie.

Funnily, iPhoto's older version was not saved.

PS: Still getting my head around the new environment (switching from WinXP). Any advice on "must have" apps would help. Thanks! :)
Yes this happened to me when I upgraded iMovie and Garageband. When you update Garageband the same thing should happen.

Can't really help you out wih apps as I dont' use many third party ones.

SomeGuyDude

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2011
NEPA
Must-have relies on what you do. For me, my main apps are:

• Spotify (music)
  • Skype (Social)
  • Steam (gaming)
  • Twitter (obvious)
  • Scrivener (writing)
  • Acrobat and Office (work)
  • Logic (audio editing)
  • Photoshop (image editing)

But obviously there are TONS of apps I don't use because they're not for tasks I need.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.