iMovie and iPad size?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by nmills, Mar 9, 2011.

1. nmills macrumors regular

I know there are already a lot of threads on which size iPad to get, but here is my dilemma. I had decided on the 64gb. But then I realized that maybe it's overkill. I have no issue spending the extra money if needed. This will be my first iPad.
    Here are my iPad plans:
    Work, personal and photography email accounts
    Web Browsing
    10-12 kid friendly apps
    10-20 apps for me
    5-10 short shows for my kids
    2-4 movies
    10 or more audiobooks at a time

The kicker is iMovie. I DO plan on using the video camera and using iMovie. If I had to guess how often (on average) I'd use it, probably twice a week (5-10 minute movies, with editing, plus maybe a few longer videos)

Does anyone happen to have any idea how much space the iMovie app + home videos/edits will take?
    Thanks so much!

2. 184550 Guest

It's doubtful anyone will know the specifics until Friday, March 11 when Apple releases the App.

If money isn't an issue, just get the 64 gb version. It doesn't hurt to have too much space, only to have too little.

3. nmills thread starter macrumors regular

Well, I mean, I'm willing to spend the extra, but it's still $100. :D
    I also figured people wouldn't have specifics...just hoped maybe some would have an idea.
    Thanks =)

4. Stovepiper macrumors member

I think you could get by with 32 GB but you'd have to be a little more careful about moving clips off the device when you are done editing with them. The additional $100 for the 64 GB version will certainly be worth it for me as I expect to be working with iMovie a great deal and copying over lots of clips from my pocket camcorder.

5. nmills thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, you're right. I don't want to have to worry about space and have to keep syncing and moving things to my computer because I'm running out of space.

6. newdeal macrumors 68020

Total less than 16 gigabytes

7. nmills thread starter macrumors regular

I guess that breakdown is about right. I have the 16gb iPhone and only about 1gb left (I have to keep rotating out audiobooks)
    I probably would use a couple more gb on apps/audio/video than on my iPhone.
    So really all that is left that needs room is iMovie.

8. MarioB macrumors member

I would say go with the 32 if you are on the limit with your iPhone (16gb). But if you ask me, you can get the 16 and just use air play a lot more than you usually would :D

9. Stovepiper macrumors member

Good luck trying to use iMovie with a 16 GB iPad. HD video clips can eat up space very quickly. Even with 32 GB he'll likely be swapping raw clips/movies around often if he does much editing.

10. nmills thread starter macrumors regular

;)

Well, I definitely don't want to have to do that. I guess I'll just go with 64. I really don't want to have to worry about space. I just didn't want to get it and have 40 extra gb of space, and $100 less in my wallet :D