imovie and MBA?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by bloodycape, Jun 12, 2009.

1. bloodycape macrumors 65816

I am in search of a new computer and I am thinking about getting a MBA first gen as my friend told me recently that he is selling his perfectly new looking MBA first gen with the x3100 gpu for 550usd cause he really want to get the new MBA with SSD at the new lower price. The model he is selling is the HDD model. I do a lot of moving editing with imovie(and possible moving to final cut express if it supports it), and use Photoshop CS3 for some light editing and I wanted to know if this rev of the MBA with the older gpu would do a solid job(a little better than the last gen ibook G4 at the least) with my requirements. Thanks.

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

It will definitely run significantly faster than your iBook, but bear in mind that the MacBook Air lacks a FireWire connection. If you need that to interface with your video camera, it's not the machine for you.

3. bloodycape thread starter macrumors 65816

No, USB is just fine. How well would the MBA do Final Cut express? Better than my ibook of course right?

Also how does the MBA compare to a first gen CD MBP that I have(gave to my sister). I would assume the C2D would be faster, but the IGP to be a little slower compared to the what the old MBP has?

4. itisme1760 macrumors 6502

Ouch, I am not too sure about Final Cut Express on your Air. Those renders are going to take a long time.

5. bloodycape thread starter macrumors 65816

Well a whole 2 hour video(2.5 gigs) on my MBP rendered in 6 hours(ouch I know but I dont think I would be doing a video with a file size of that anymore). So with the air if its 8 hours I can wait the extra 2.