iMovie and .MPEG files

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by kolax, Jul 14, 2007.

1. kolax macrumors G3

Ello,

Having a wee bit trouble trying to get sound while importing .MPEG files recorded with my Sony DSC-W100 Digital Camera.

Sound playback is fine, but seems to get dropped when I import into iMovie. I've tried the various options when you create a New Project (DV, MPEG, 720p etc) and have no luck.

Also, the video quality seems to get decreased when I import videos - is there a way to prevent this? I'd rather get full quality video while I edit and then play around with compression depending on what file size I'm after at the end.

I'm so close to using Windows Movie Maker! Help prevent me from using that crap!

2. kolax thread starter macrumors G3

Anyone?

I've tried going into Quicktime and exporting it as .mp4 but it looses the sound doing it that way too.

I'm desperate to know if there is a fix.

3. theBB macrumors 68020

theBB

I don't know about sound dropping issue, but you should not get any quality reduction when you import into iMovie if your project is dv, which does not employ any compression.

4. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

You need to demux your mpeg files first. Try searching on "demux mpeg". There are plenty of threads to help you out.

5. kolax thread starter macrumors G3

Cheers - I found a converter and problem solved!