iMovie - Best export options for youtube?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by ozreth, Jul 9, 2010.

1. ozreth macrumors 65816

ozreth

So I am new to iMovie and mostly to video editing in general. Need to export some videos for youtube and was wondering what the best settings are to make something keep its quality on youtube? I know I should export to quicktime, but what should I set everything to? I found a guide for it a few months back but cant seem to find it again.

2. ozreth thread starter macrumors 65816

ozreth

Damn, this is the second time i've come here for basically the same question and just can't seem to get a response : /

3. ozreth thread starter macrumors 65816

ozreth

O hey that should help as long as I can translate it to iMovie well enough. Total n00b here. Thanks though.

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Doesn't iMovie have some Share to YouTube feature?

Or you could export it and see what settings you can set there. Or you export it in its native format (DV or Apple Intermediate Codec), and then use MPEG Streamclip to transcode the video to the right settings.

5. xStep macrumors 68000

YT has help pages to understand the formats and resolutions they take. I recommend reading that.

I have a couple of guides that may be helpful.

Currently I think the iMovie 09 Share to YT option is limited to 720p. Not helpful if your material is 1080 rez.