iMovie butchering my pretty iPhone videos

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by itommyboy, Jun 29, 2009.

1. itommyboy macrumors 6502a

itommyboy

iMovie makes my iPhone 3G S shot videos really crappy looking. They look pixelated and much less sharp than they do on my iPhone or even compared to the clips imported from my iPhone into iPhoto. It also "flips" the video so it looks like they are shot sideways. I will admit one of my weaker Mac points is iMovie as I've done very little editing with it (so far) but the couple of hours I spent last night (yeah I said hours on only about 6 minutes of video!) left me yearning for a different/better video editing program.

Also after a long drawn out 30 minutes or so of so called "video stabilization" on only about 6 minutes of video, the end result was even crappier looking video that was off center. That is to say where you could see my daughters faces in the video before "stabilizing" their heads were cut off after "stabilizing". I quote stabilizing because it hardly stabilized anything and in fact only managed to destabilize my blood pressure. :(

So I ask my fellow Mac peers - what is the deal with iMovie making my videos look so bad and not being as newbie friendly as I imagined it would be? Is it me and my lack of experience with the software or is it iMovie or maybe a dash of both?

I'm absolutely blown away by and loving the 3G S video recorder and am going to amass many video clips thanks to it but I want to be able to easily import, manage, edit, store and share them with as little time/effort as possible. I'd like to get used to and learn one video program that can do all I need (doesn't seem like I'm asking for much am I?) from the get go and never look back. So what do you guys think - after some more trial and error and tut's can/will iMovie turn this novice video editor into a variable Tarrantino? Or should I start looking for a more robust software from the get go? As always thanks for any help, advice, tips.

2. Razeus macrumors 601

http://www.tuaw.com/2009/06/27/the-tuaw-how-to-guide-to-iphone-3gs-video-recording-and-editing/

3. itommyboy thread starter macrumors 6502a

itommyboy

4. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

5. itommyboy thread starter macrumors 6502a

itommyboy

Hmmm sounds like people with more video editing experience than me seem to be less than impressed with iMovie as well. Also seems iLife not so ready to play prime time with the new iPhone 3G S video recording ability. Let me guess a new "feature" touted in Snow Leopard, of course.