iMovie...can't export 8 minute video?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Galacticus, Jul 3, 2010.

1. Galacticus macrumors member

This morning I spent about 20 minutes slightly editing a neat fireworks video that I took last night. The length is 8 minutes 16 seconds, when it is done exporting it tells me that my video is done exporting and I can find it in the Photos folder.

Except that there is NOTHING that it exported. What gives? Is the 720P video too large?

2. Knowimagination macrumors 68000

Knowimagination

OP have you tried syncing it to your computer to see if it plays there?

3. Galacticus thread starter macrumors member

Actually I rebooted phone and when it connected to windows I could see the video, very odd.

I'll be adding it to the videos section. Thanks for the help

4. Knowimagination macrumors 68000

Knowimagination

After the reboot does it play on your phone or just on the computer? Glad you got it figured out.

5. Galacticus thread starter macrumors member

After a reboot it started showing in my photos folder.

Sounds like a bug...

6. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

Was your phone connected to the computer while editing and exporting? When I take a picture with the iPhone connected to the computer, it doesn't show in the folder (on the computer) until I disconnect and reconnect the phone. It appears the computer only reads the contents of the iPhone once during the initial connect.

7. Galacticus thread starter macrumors member

Nope, I woke up this morning and did all my editing in bed. Exported video, about 20 minutes later plugged it in.

8. danpass macrumors 68020

danpass

glad to see it worked out.

I once did a 14m01s second video just to see what would happen. worked fine (was 1.08gb in size haha)

are you going to post the video by chance?

9. Mobile923 macrumors 6502

I have also found a similar bug with the photos app... probably due to the new multitasking feature.

next time try closing the Photos app in the recent app tray after exporting, then check out your camera roll

10. Rooftop voter macrumors 6502a

All it does when I try to export my 3 min video is sit there for a second, then crash and put me back to the springboard. Ive deleted it and download it again, and that still hasn't helped. Anyone know a fix or work around.

11. Lifesuxsbad macrumors regular

Lifesuxsbad

3 min video

I put together a 3 min video with iMovie and can't get it to export to the camera roll. It says exporting but then the program just crashes and it exits back to the apps I have in that folder. Bummer...I made a video 3 mins long just with a bunch of pictures and music of my grand baby and can't get it to export!! It plays just fine in the iMovie program itself but can't get it to the camera roll to do anything else with it....sucks!

12. DetTigers macrumors regular

I made a 2.5 minute video with pictures and I also can't get it to export to the Camera Roll. It says "Exporting" but then iMovie closes and returns me to the home screen. I have read on several forums that this is a bug and Apple is aware of it.

13. Trouser Cough macrumors member

Trouser Cough

Crowded Busses, Cramped Elevators, Taco Bell
    I cut together probably a solid 9 minutes of heavily edited footage...and now iMovie won't even launch. It just sits there, trying to open for about 15 seconds then gives up and crashes to the springboard. reeeeeeealllly annoying since I spent a decent chunk of time putting clips together while on a road trip.

14. iCHiRS macrumors member

It could be that the memory is being soaked up by other apps...? I ran into this issue today. So I double tapped the home button, closed all of the apps and tried again. That seemed to work.

15. Trouser Cough macrumors member

Trouser Cough

Crowded Busses, Cramped Elevators, Taco Bell
    Yep, tried that, tried freeing up more memory by deleting stuff too, clearing all recently used apps, and rebooted (both hard and soft) to no avail.

16. iCHiRS macrumors member

Hmm....not sure what to say then. It might be software related...

Hopefully a fix comes soon...

17. Reefbone macrumors regular

I can get my 5+ min edited video to export to camera roll but I can't get it off the phone to my Windows PC. If I export using medium size I can. I've tried closing down all apps but the Camera wizard gos to 100% then errors. I've tried it on several PC's. Any ideas? Anyone else have this problem?

18. Reefbone macrumors regular

5 Days seems like a reasonable enough time to expect a response but I didn't... so I'm bumping. (even through frowned upon)