iMovie constantly crashes!!!!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ilikecorn500, Jul 20, 2012.

1. ilikecorn500 macrumors member

ilikecorn500

I need help.

iMovie '11 crashes all the time. Here's what makes it crash:

I open iMovie, and it tells me that it needs to get thumbnails for iPhoto Videos. When I click "Now", it starts the process, and then iMovie crashes.

Also, when I click "Later", I can then click anything, and when I do, the little colored pinwheel spins, and iMovie freezes, then crashes.

Here's what I've tried to fix it:

1. Deleting the com.apple.iMovieApp.plist and the associated lockfile.
    2. Completing the instructions from Dr. Les in this apple forum:
    https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3723448?start=0&tstart=0

If you need it, I can send the crash log.

Thanks for any help. :)

2. aarond12 macrumors 65816

aarond12

Yeah, let's have a look at the crash log. Usually we can identify which thread crashed and what function it's attempting to perform.

3. JediMeister macrumors 68040

Just a hunch, but if you have the 3ivx plugin installed, consider removing it and seeing if the issue is resolved?

4. ilikecorn500 thread starter macrumors member

ilikecorn500

I fixed it!

After upgrading to Mountain Lion, there was an update which fixed the crashes.

I was originally trying to move my iMovie events to my external, and when I try to do that now, It basically copies it, even though I hold down the command key when I drag them to the drive in iMovie. It won't let me delete the events on the internal drive within iMovie, and I confirmed that the files are on the external also. Is it safe to delete the events folder from the internal?

5. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

Yes.

I think the reason that iMovie copies instead of moves Events, is so that they will still be available on the original drive for any other Projects that have used those Events. Otherwise you wouldn't be able to open those Projects.

6. ilikecorn500 thread starter macrumors member

ilikecorn500

As described in the link below, if you choose to move the events, it says it will delete them from the original location. So it's kind of interesting that it didn't.

http://support.apple.com/kb/PH2302

----------

Also, if I try to delete the events from the internal within iMovie, it says it can't read the files. I can delete them from the finder, though.

7. ilikecorn500 thread starter macrumors member

ilikecorn500

Within the ~/Movies/iMovie Events folder there are some various cache files, but in the external, there aren't.

Is this normal? Is it still safe to delete the folder from the internal?