imovie-- continually running out of disk space

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by daftlikejack, Jan 4, 2009.

1. daftlikejack macrumors newbie

Forgive the total stupidness of what I'm about to ask, but I'm not able to figure out why it is and I need to know so I can fix it.

I've had my macbook for 2 years so there's a LOT of crap on it. In addition to me having 9 GB worth of media in itunes, I have two years worth of photos and video clips from my camera. I am continually seeing the "you are running dangerously low on disk space" message.

The real reason it is bothering me is I am trying to edit footage and make fan videos with clips of tv shows to music in imovie, and I only seem to have 2 GB of space available at a time. What do I need to do to create more? Can I buy an external hard drive to work off of for that kind of thing? I mean, would that fix my problem? I know I have to back up a lot of my photos and clips soon too.

2. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Get an external enclosure and get used to swapping disks.

What I would do is get a good firewire enclosure, and then a new 500GB hard disk that will fit your Mac. Then slap that new drive in your enclosure and use carbon copy cloner to clone your boot disk to the external disk. Then take the hard disk out of your macbook (not hard to do) and put that in your external drive and put your external (new) drive into your Macbook. Voilà! Your computer will be just as it was but with a ton of extra space. Get used to doing this as you run out of space and newer bigger disks come out.

3. daftlikejack thread starter macrumors newbie

hrm, I just kind of get what you're saying. Not really though but I'll ask my dad to translate into not-too-computer-literate speak. :)

4. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Then don't try to take the drive out yourself. ;)