IMovie Copy DVD

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by skyskyasia, Mar 27, 2009.

1. skyskyasia macrumors newbie

Ages ago i backed up all the imovies i created onto DVD"s - movies from my camcorder.

Now I want to get them back into IMovie. How to do ?

2. JediMeister macrumors 68040

I'm having a bit of trouble understanding your post so I'll ask a couple questions first. Did you edit the footage from your camcorder in iMovie and then after sending it to iDVD and burning a video DVD of the project, delete the iMovie project, and that's what you're trying to get back? Or did you burn the iMovie project file itself to a data DVD? Or did you import footage onto your Mac and then burn the unedited footage to a data disc? You can't take a video DVD and extract the iMovie/iDVD project that the disc was created with. If its raw footage (video files) on the DVD, depending on the format of the individual files or how the disc was burned, it may need conversion before it can be edited with iMovie. If its iMovie project files on the DVD, you may run into compatibility issues trying to open them if you have a newer version of iMovie than when you created the projects.

If you want to just get footage from a video DVD and use that in a new iMovie project, you'll have to use something like Handbrake to convert the MPEG2 format on the burned DVD into something usable by iMovie.

3. skyskyasia thread starter macrumors newbie

I import a whole tape from my camcorder into Imovie.

Then I immediately burn a DVD - which effectively is a back up of the tape.

Then I use IMovie and edit the imported tape and make a movie.

I have lost a couple of my tapes - but have the back up on DVD. So want to import the contents of the DVD into Imovie.