iMovie Doesn't Recognize Sony TRV340 Camcorder

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Resist, Oct 24, 2009.

1. Resist macrumors 68030

My old Sony TRV340 Camcorder isn't recognized my iMovie. I connected it via a firewire cable but it is still not seen. Funny thing is though that I can connect it to my PC and it is seen. But I don't want to use Windows Movie Maker with the PC, I'd rather do the transfer on my Mac laptop.

Is there a way to get it to work? I am trying to convert all my old 8mm video tapes to DVD's, so I am hoping there is a solution.

2. rachyxx macrumors newbie

ok could someone help me with imovie

rite i dont think this is how to start a thread but i cant even find how to so thought i would just send a reply then you could tell me how to or tell me about my problem if use know.
    So i just got my macbook and im trying to work my video camrea so can edit the videos on imovie but its not reconising it dont think its the usb as it works on my pc no bother. so instead i tried sending videos what i uploaded onto the pc to my mac and they wont open could someone tell me a cheap or even better free way to edit the videos to open i really wanna edit them on imovie as windows movie maker is crap and the videos arent that good quality on windows helppppp pleasee

3. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

To the both of you: if you use Windows Movie Maker to capture DV video (through Firewire), you can copy the files over to your Mac and import them into iMovie. You can then finish the editing there.

If your camcorder connects through a USB cable, it will not be DV video. You will need to convert it to a format that iMovie understands. (DV is not a bad option for this, either.)

4. xStep macrumors 68000

The first thing to do to debug this issue is to connect the camera with one of firewire or USB, turn on the camera, then start up System Profiler found in the Utilities folder. In the hardware section choose the appropriate entry for firewire or USB and review the lists that should appear in the display box to the right to see if your device (camera) is listed.

Also, when you post a question, details may matter, so list the OS X version, the camera model, how you are connecting it, other software you are using and its version number.