Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ozone

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 18, 2004
Ontario, Canada
I did a fresh install of Leopard and iLife 08 last year on my iMac and used iMovie successfully last fall for a simple, home project. Last night, I used it again and I had a rather long seminar I filmed. I broke the seminar into smaller projects (1, 2, etc.), and project 1 went along alright, and I turned it into a .m4v movie via the Share function.

I then tried converting project 2. It took a while, so I went away, came back, and discovered that the converted movie (which was previously shown in progress) seemed to have disappeared: the output never seems to have shown up anywhere. I thought maybe something went awry, eventhough there were no error messages, so I restarted iMovie. No luck, so I restarted the iMac.

Well, it went downhill from there. Project 2 was still in the Project Library pane, but project 1 completely disappeared. My earlier project from last fall also disappeared. Even worse, the project 1 data file in my Movies folder via Finder was too small - somehow, the latest project data itself disappeared, almost as if it self-deleted! So, I used Time Machine to recover an earlier version of the project 1 data. But when I tried to open it with iMovie, nothing happens. Even worse, iMovie itself seems corrupted now. Project 2 doesn't always show up, and sometimes there are no buttons or dialog to click. It's similar to what is described here in another blog:
http://thinkwrap.wordpress.com/2008/05/13/imovie-08-and-mystery-of-disappearing-project-library/

I tried to verify disk and repair permissions - and even these don't seem to work. The progress bar just hangs. :mad:

So, I have no idea what's going on - and I can't find any clues online. Help please? Anybody?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.