iMovie experts...running into problem..need help

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by calimed, Jun 30, 2009.

1. calimed macrumors member

So I'm trying to make a slideshow/movie in iMovie. I've got about 2000 pictures that I'm dealing with. Everything runs well. I'm able to exit the application and restart with nearly no wait to "load the project". I'm also able to adjust the Pan/Zoom (Ken Burns?) effects with no problem. THEN if I add a theme/transitions between every picture (via preferences) it messes everything up. Now I've got to wait 20 min to wait for "loading project" to be done and the pan/zoom adjustment is painfully slow to use. Is anyone having this problem?? One of the reasons I left my old Black Macbook was that I thought this was a computer speed issue. Now I'm on a MacBook Pro, so I doubt computer speed is the issue.

Any thoughts?

2. Shake 'n' Bake macrumors 68020

Shake 'n' Bake

I'm afraid that 2000 pics and transitions will just weigh it down. I think iPhoto is better for slideshows, but that's just me.

3. calimed thread starter macrumors member

Problem is I'm also adding movie clips in between some of the pictures. So I can't use iPhoto. Weird thing is that without the transitions it works perfect with no lags whatsoever. If I add the transitions then it seems to mess everything up. After I add the transitions the movie doesn't get longer at all (actually shortens by 10 min for some reason), so I'm not sure how that creates more stress on the system.

As a side questions (which hopefully it doesn't come down to) is there a better program for doing this that could handle stuff like this?

Thanks again,

4. Shake 'n' Bake macrumors 68020

Shake 'n' Bake

The transitions (should) add time, and therefore increase the size of the movie.

You may want to trash the plist. I'm not sure where it is located, but open the package contents on iMovie and check there and if it isn't there, check the ~/Library folder.

A better program would be Final Cut Express or Final Cut Studio 2.