iMovie export for PS3 query?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by snerkler, Mar 5, 2012.

1. snerkler, Mar 5, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2012

snerkler macrumors 6502a

I'm just figuring out iMovie, and just done a short project to get used to the functions. I've exported the project to my hard drive in Full HD, but it is a .mov file and I would like to export it as a .m2ts file if possible so that I can play it on my PS3. Is there somewhere you can change the file type when exporting or can you only export in .mov?
    Cheers

2. simsaladimbamba

3. snerkler thread starter macrumors 6502a

Because I don't know what I'm doing and don't understand all the different files, codecs etc etc :eek:. If I export as MP4 H.264 will this still be HD?

4. simsaladimbamba

Yes, it will. Apple uses H.264 as codec for their trailers, and .mp4 is just a container for the H.264 codec.
    But as far as I know, PS3s are sometimes a bit finicky when it comes to H.264 encoded files. Maybe browse one of the PS3 forums out there or change your thread title to attract more knowledgable persons regarding PS3 settings.

5. snerkler thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks, will try this.

6. Clark Kent macrumors member

If you have Qucktime 7 Pro, you can open your .mov file and export it to an mp4 using PASSTHROUGH and it will play on the PS3. It only takes a few minutes because it's only changing the container for the video file and doesn't have to convert anything.

MP4Tools can also do this.

7. snerkler thread starter macrumors 6502a

Would either of these reduce picture quality? I've tried exporting the file as Mpeg-4 h.264 from iMovie but the PS3 still doesn't recognise this for some reason :confused:

8. Clark Kent macrumors member

It won't do anything to the picture quality as it is not converting or changing it but simply passing it through to the new container.

9. snerkler thread starter macrumors 6502a

OK, thanks. I've used mp4tools to convert the file to mp4 but my PS3 still doesn't recognise it, any ideas why or what I'm doing wrong?

10. throAU macrumors 601

throAU

download ps3 media server.

point it at whatever video files you have on your mac.

stream to PS3 using this. forget about codec problems (it converts the video on the fly, while streaming it) :)

11. snerkler thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sorry to be such a dunce but should I be downloading PS3 media server to my PS3 or Mac?

Also, I don't have my Mac hooked up to my PS3, I'm using a USB flash drive to transfer files to the PS3 at present. What's the best way to hook up my MAc to the PS3?

12. throAU macrumors 601

throAU

ahh you'll need them networked over either cable or wifi.

ps3 media server is a program for mac, pc, etc that will transcode video for you on the fly and stream it to your PS3 over the network

no network will make it difficult...

13. snerkler thread starter macrumors 6502a

I have a wifi broadband router can I set up a network over that, or do I need a wifi server?
    How do I set up a cable network with the PS3?
    Is there a safe place to download the PS3 media server from? If this transcodes on the fly does it keep the picture quality?