iMovie - exporting for apple tv

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by benmadrid, Jul 12, 2007.

1. benmadrid macrumors member

Hi,

I have been making video blogs for a while to stick on youtube but now want to put out a proper video cast suitable for viewing on an ipod or apple tv. According to new specs sent out recently by apple, the resulting video should be either 640x480 or 640x360 (depending on the aspect ratio of your source files). My movie in iMovie is 720 wide. I know that I need to initially export it then convert it to the right specs using Quicktime pro or itunes ('convert to ipod' function), but how do I get iMovie to export it at 640? Whenever I try using the expert settings it starts exporting but just counts the minutes up and up, seeming it will never get the export done. Does anyone know a way to do this? Thanks.

2. benmadrid thread starter macrumors member

p.s. just using the export to apple tv option outlined here is not what I'm after, as it will then not play on video ipods. I need it to play on video ipods as well.

From apple:

3. benmadrid thread starter macrumors member

OK, I solved this problem by using the export to ipod function under quicktime advanced. Seems to export at 640 wide.