iMovie Exporting Question

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by KrrSplat, May 23, 2011.

1. KrrSplat macrumors member

Okay, so basically my question is this, is there any way to speed up my exporting process. It seems like no matter what i do, the export process takes twice as long as the video itself. Here are some pics. They go in order

Attached Files:

2. KrrSplat thread starter macrumors member

I also tried changing the settings

Attached Files:

3. KrrSplat thread starter macrumors member

The last set of settings i tried. Any ideas on how to speed up the process??

Attached Files:

4. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

You'll either have to get a faster computer or try a lesser quality format such as 3gp. Then again, I think iMovie takes just as long on my iMac which has 8GB.

Basically, I don't think there is a solution. Apple need to make the iLife Apps 64bit.

5. KrrSplat thread starter macrumors member

:( Whats the point of putting really good processors in their computers if their OWN software cant take advantage of them?

6. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

You are converting video from one format to another. It takes time, the only way you can change it is to change the export format.

Video work is probably the most time consuming process that you can do on your Mac.

7. mattraehl macrumors 6502

I came to post the same complaint. I just got a 2.7 Ghz i5 iMac. I was dissapointed to find that iMovie exports are only about 25% faster than my old 2.4 Ghz Core 2 Duo iMac.

The problem is how Apple has built iMovie to work. It is designed to not use all of your Mac's processing power, so you can run an export while doing other tasks on your computer. On my old (dual core) iMac, I thought the design choice to have iMovie max out at around 150% (of 200) of the available CPU was a good one - at the time the exports were fast (after coming from a G4), and I could still use my machine while it was working.

Sadly, iMovie '11 currently will not take adavantage of more than 2 cores. On my quad core i5, it is still only using about 150% of available CPU, out of 400. This was acceptable when the only Macs that had more than two cores were Mac Pros. But now all iMacs and most Macbook Pros have four cores. Apple really needs to improve this.