iMovie Flip Help

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by PaperMacWriter, Jul 1, 2010.

1. PaperMacWriter macrumors 6502

PaperMacWriter

So, I just got my new iPhone 4, and I found that I actually love making movies of my family vacation. However, I want to use my mom's Flip footage of my little cousin playing cricket, and I've decided to use iMovie for Mac (more power there, thought I should try that again, despite my previous confusion with it). However, after I imported my footage into iPhoto as an event, it doesn't show up under "iPhoto Videos." My iPhone 4 footage and my pocket camera videos (in .MOV or .AVI) show up, but not the Flip (Ultra HD, if that matters). I know it's .MP4 video; does iMovie not like editing that?

This is crazy, considering these are supposed to be two "dead simple" products, and yet they always give me a nightmare.

Thanks in advance!
    ~Stan

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

3. chrismacguy macrumors 68000

There are 2 simple options here: 1) Revert to iMovie '06 HD which is what I do most of my minor edits in or 2) cant you just grab the files into a directory, and manually drag and drop those into a new iMovie Project, and edit it as that??

4. PaperMacWriter thread starter macrumors 6502

PaperMacWriter

Unfortunately, those forums didn't seem to help - I couldn't figure out what was actually useful in them (I tried some of the advice, but it all seemed to be unhelpful). Is there anything y'all can recommend? I don't have iMovie HD, so I cant use that, and I'm not really used to working in iMovie, so I need stuff to be spelled out for me in this.

Thanks!
    ~Stan

5. chrismacguy macrumors 68000

Basically, its that editing Flip footage into anything is the biggest pain in the universe. And getting it into iMovie takes a lot of effort as it isnt in a useful format.

6. PaperMacWriter thread starter macrumors 6502

PaperMacWriter

Would taking the files in the iPhoto folder (found via opening a video in QTX, then CMD-Clicking on the title to find the source folder) and running those through Evom (The Little App Factory makes it [and I have no affiliation with them. I just like their stuff]) converting it into a .MOV file do the trick? I'm hoping that can get them usable if I delete the originals from the iPhoto library and reimport the new files... God, this is a PITA. Someone should right an Application or apple script or whatever to do this automatically when you plug in your flip. I'd pay good money for that.

~Stan

7. PaperMacWriter thread starter macrumors 6502

PaperMacWriter

Oh, and on a completely unrelated note, is it possible to add title slides into iMovie for iPhone pictures? I don't have enough videos sometimes...

8. skypark macrumors member

Editing flip video

I edit my flip videos all the time in Imovie 9 and it does a great job.
    In fact I am getting ready to do 2 more. I have also load some video from my reg. video cam and added it to my Flip video to make movies.
    I use the Flip mino HD,

9. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

No, I just tried. It makes a .mov file, but it uses an MPEG-4 codec, thus it is unsuitable for editing.

Have you tried MPEG Streamclip yet? If not, use the EXPORT AS QUICKTIME (CMD+E) option, select Apple Intermediate Codec as codec and set the audio/sound to UNCOMPRESSED. It also can batch process, meaning you add several of your files to a batch list and it will batch convert them to the same setting.

Have you tried the IMPORT FROM CAMERA dialogue yet?

Can you explain the steps you take, thus the OP gets to know, how s/he can do what you are able to do?

10. Amnak macrumors 6502

it should be more simple then that I think all you need to do is go to file>import and then find your movies were ever they are like under movie or iphoto

11. spice weasel macrumors 65816

This. With some clarification, though.

I'm not sure why everyone is saying it's so hard to do. Connect your Flip. Launch iMovie and choose import and then locate the clip(s). Your Flip should mount as an external USB drive, and the files should be in there. iMovie will import them and transcode them to Apple Intermediate Codec for editing.

Or, import them into iPhoto and then launch iMovie and they should appear. You might have to quit and relaunch iPhoto after importing (and wait until they are imported before launching iMovie) so that the iLife media browser can update itself.

12. skypark macrumors member

flip import

Thats how easy it is hook up the flip to your mac open Imovie and hit import video.....and bam you on you way as easy as 123.

13. danpass macrumors 68020

danpass

check out my sigline for tips

14. danhercules macrumors member

I did not read all the replys, but this is what I do

Hook up the flip

Save to computer. There are now on the hard drive

open imovie, import movies and select the flip videos.

Once in imovie, i delete the flip movie from my hard drive.

15. mstrze macrumors 68000

This is how I do it and I have never had an issue. The Flip videos are always there in iMovie in the "iPhoto Movies" section.

The OP however, has stated that his Flip videos are NOT there...his iPhone movies are, but not his Flip's for some reason. :confused: