iMovie for iPod Touch 4G but not for iPhone 3GS?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ssdeg7, Sep 12, 2010.

1. ssdeg7 macrumors 6502a

ssdeg7

I just don't know why iMovie does not work for iPhone 3GS and does for iPod Touch 4G. Below are the specs for both devices, the only thing the iPod Touch has that the iPhone doesn't is the frontal camera.

iPod Touch 4G:
    Processor: 833 MHz (not official)
    RAM: 256 MB
    Camera: 0.7 Mpx (rear camera)
    Battery: 930 mA·h

iPhone 3GS:
    Processor: 833 MHz
    RAM: 256 MB
    Camera: 3.0 Mpx
    Battery: 1219 mA·h

2. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

it requires an A4 chip.

iPhone 3GS doesn't have an A4 chip

3. ssdeg7 thread starter macrumors 6502a

ssdeg7

So the iPad could be able to edit videos in iMovie?

4. Exegesis48 macrumors regular

I agree that there's absolutely no reason that iMovie couldn't run on the iPhone 3GS. Apple seems to be pretty consistent in their ways though about adding features to new devices and leaving old devices behind to salivate.

When it was just the iPhone 4 it was obvious why the 3GS was excluded because of the limited ram etc, but now the iPod Touch has it, there's no reason the 3GS can't do the same thing.

5. Atothendrew24 macrumors member

Maybe because the app is made for the Retina display and they don't want to downgrade it to the old display?

6. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

You have the 3Gs speed wrong, it's 600Mhz. The 3Gs can run iMovie, if you are jailbroken and you change the requirements file. The reason why Apple doesn't allow it be default, they want you to spend more money on upgrades. The 3G can even run it, it just crashes a lot due to the small amount of ram it has.

7. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

I believe that in the future, yes, the iPad will have iMovie. But Apple doesn't want you to x2 the resolution like other apps and have it be all pixelated, so until they make a version that is native to the iPad or it is made universal, we must wait.

8. ssdeg7 thread starter macrumors 6502a

ssdeg7

Maybe the iPhone due to the fact that it calls and has 3G requires more RAM than the iPod Touch and maybe that's why the iPhone 3G does not have GameCenter and the iPod Touch 3G does (These two also have very similar specs).

This is just my guess, maybe the 256 MB for an iPhone is not enough but is enough for the iPod.

9. ssdeg7 thread starter macrumors 6502a

ssdeg7

Nice thoughts, anyway, I think I wouldn't use iMovie for iPad unless Apple lets users use YouTube videos or other sources other than the Movies and Videos on the iPad.

10. chembox macrumors 6502a

The resolution is the least of their problems. They could easily cash in $4.99 from each 3GS user, but would rather succumb them into buying a $199/$299 phone.