Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jess13

Suspended
Nov 3, 2013
I enjoy iMovie, but it would be awesome if there were a few FCPX features included. For example, manually resizing clips’ dimensions instead of only very limited fit to screen, crop to fill, etc. It is quality software still.

kingtj

macrumors 68030
Oct 23, 2003
Brunswick, MD
I hear you!

I stopped using it a year or so after Apple made it clear it was a "dead product", but IMO? They never really did get the replacement to be an acceptable movie/video editor for my needs. It used to be, you could install plenty of really nice 3rd. party plug-ins to give iMovie more capabilities. I had a package that added blue/green screen support and many other goodies. The new iMovie HD just doesn't let me import clips and get transitions and audio lined up easily, since it lacks the traditional timeline that Apple was so proud to eliminate.

I feel like they pushed me over to Final Cut, despite that being severe overkill for my needs.

I'm in my early 20s and still stuck on iMovie HD '06. It works great for me to update old family 8mm tapes to DVD with iDVD integration. I export them to disk image and direct Kodi to the network share for access to the full DVDs with menus. The older software while limited in functionality did video editing well with very little clutter. It was simple to use.
[doublepost=1461954266][/doublepost]This is probably very true. But I often need such things as pasting together pre-saved AVI and MP4 movie clips of different resolutions and inserting smooth transitions between them that fade frames out and back in at *just* the right spot. iMovie is not intended to make anything like that easy to do.

iMovie is great, comes in handy a lot for me.

If you use iMovie like its intended to be used and not like 'you' expect it to be used then it's awesome.

Glassed Silver

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2007
Kassel, Germany
I have half a feeling that they are going to realize that dropping aperture was a mistake and introduce a replacement. Maybe a misguided hope, but (iirc) they advertised the retina MacBook Pro showing the benefits of the retina screen to edit photos.

I know professional users are not their main market (and haven't been for a long time) but there is surely a huge market of prosumers, many of whom have jumped ship to Adobe Lightroom. Seems an unnecessary self inflicted shot in the foot.

I know photos is a huge step up from iPhoto but surely they can't think it is enough?
If aperture isn't supported on osx 10.next I doubt I will be upgrading.

Glad they are still updating iMovie though, I haven't used it much but it is pretty good for my needs.
I think Apple knows very well that they better don't break Aperture compatibility anytime soon, officially being discontinued aside, they know that there's a LOT of people still running it, because quite frankly there is no replacement. Period.

If they actually were to re-enlight Aperture or make another step towards providing an actual replacement, that'd be AMAZING.
I doubt it, but seeing Aperture compatibility fixes in beta release notes of some OS X El Capitan release gave me some hope they at least aren't ignoring its existence.

The first release to break Aperture is the first I'll avoid "up"grading to.

And then comes some iTunes update that is mandatory for iOS version something.something and the "joy" of the annual release cycle becomes more apparent.

Glassed Silver:mac

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.