iMovie for Mac Vs. iMovie for iOS

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by akswun, Nov 27, 2015.

1. akswun macrumors regular

akswun

Just wondering if it would be a lot faster to create & export a video through an iPad(air2) vs. using an older MBP(09).

I created a project on my MBP a couple of weeks ago and it took forever!. Well not literally forever but it took me a full work day to put together a video with minimal edits. Short intro, joined about 4 different clips, 3 different captions, 1 screen shot and a short rolling credit. Video length was about an hour and half.
    The export took 3.5 days. My MBP is obviously under powered for the task. 13" 2009 2.53ghz c2d 8gb RAM w/SSD. I changed the settings on the export to a lower quality to speed it up because prior to me changing those settings the iMovie export timer said something insane like 3-4weeks.
    But talking with my brother he said I could have used my wifes iPad Air 2 to create the video. I'm kicking myself as I think he was right.

I haven't tried it yet but is this true? Other than creating the movie itself, would the exporting process be that much faster considering the power of an iPad Air 2?

2. Pakaku macrumors 68000

Pakaku

You're on a C2D processor, so things involving intense processing (like video-rendering) will be very painful.

3. akswun thread starter macrumors regular

akswun

I get that. But would doing the same task on an iPad Air 2 be much faster?

4. cruisin macrumors 6502a

cruisin

Yes it would. Whether the iPad has enough space for the source clips and the result is another issue entirely.