iMovie for the iPad

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by Figbash Acrobat, Jun 8, 2010.

1. Figbash Acrobat macrumors 6502a

Figbash Acrobat

Unless I missed it....No iMovie for the iPad??

Doesn't seem right! Of course they'll add it eventually, but you'd think they would've equally focused on development for the iPad's screen real estate. I know it's likely to be an essential part of HD video recording on the iPhone 4. Just would expect it on iPad first.

So what do we think...will this only appear iPad-optimized come the fall release of iOS 4 on iPad?

2. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

Makes perfect sense to me that there would be no iMovie for the iPad at this point in time. The primary purpose for iMovie on the iPhone is to be able to edit the video that was recorded on the iPhone.

The iPad has no camera and so any video that would be edited with a hypothetical iMovie for iPad would first need to be synced over to it. Content consumption is the primary focus of the iPad.... content creation is not.

It is possible that iMovie will be a universal app and work on the iPad (in native resolution) also.

3. Figbash Acrobat thread starter macrumors 6502a

Figbash Acrobat

Yeah, I guessed that much. But we already sync video content to the iPad, just not in a raw format that is iMovie-ready. It just seems like actually editing on a phone, even in a simplified form, would prove difficult with such a small screen.

4. JefferyShin macrumors regular

JefferyShin

Doesn't the iPad Camera Connector allow the transfer of videos from an iPhone?

5. sakumar macrumors newbie

iMovie needs iPad software upgrade

I got iMovie for the iPhone 4.

iTunes gave the following warning:

The application "iMovie" was not installed on the iPad <ipad name> because it requires a newer version of iPad software.

So I guess iMovie will also work on the iPad when we get iOS 4.0

6. InvalidBassist macrumors regular

InvalidBassist

That's good to know. Thanks for the update.

7. INeedAMacBook macrumors 6502

hmmm.... but to put a video say from your iphone onto your ipad, you'd need to put it on the computer, then onto the ipad, and if you're already on you'r computer then why don't you just edit it using your computer, especially if you have a mac with iMovie

8. fredr500 macrumors regular

Reel Director?

How about ReelDirector? Same price as iMovie and runs on both the iPhone and iPad. Features look similar, haven't done an exhaustive comparison.

On the iPhone 4 it handles 720p even though it isn't on the menu.

Fred

9. melinawaugh macrumors newbie

There is already a very nice video editor for the iPhone that will run on the IPAD. Using the new Apple SDK it will have access to the SDHC reader and USB port ipad options and can go full screen. No need for iMovie.

10. kntgsp macrumors 6502a

Allowing wireless transmission of video to the iPad via ad-hoc from your iPhone4 would be nice. The iPad is a much better platform for editing video shot with the iPhone.

Or hell, a double ended 30-pin connector cable so you can directly transfer the video to the iPad. Why can't we just have that?

11. redman042 macrumors 68030

redman042

iMovie on the iPad would be great. However, editing HD video is very memory-intensive. iPad only has 256 mb while iPhone 4 has 512. I think this could be a real issue.

12. OGDaniel macrumors 6502a

OGDaniel

I would think anyone who really needs to edit on the go would just have a laptop. iMovie for iPhone is a fun little tool to play around with really.

13. mKTank macrumors 68000

mKTank

Perhaps spoofing the iPad FW number to 4.0 or higher may make iMovie work. Worth the try.

Then again, it probably looks for 4.0 anyway since it's an iPhone 4 app, so once you spoof it to 4.0, it will ask for an iPhone 4 now.