iMovie HD and iDVD help

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by steamboat26, Jul 17, 2007.

1. steamboat26 macrumors 65816

steamboat26

I'm surprising my parents with DVDs of all the videos they took of me and my siblings as kids, but I have run into some problems. First of all, when I record them using eyetv software, I then have to convert it to a .mov, so it is readable by iDVD and iMovie. Is there anyway to record these as .movs? Then, when I import the .mov clip (which is around 1 GB) it takes 3 hours to load in iMovie! Anyway to speed this up? Also, given that these are giant (2+ hour clips) how can I edit out unwanted scenes? iMovie help only tells me to delete clips I don't want, but if it is all one clip, then how can I edit out the sections I don't want? Finally, I just need to now how many hours of movies can fit onto a DVD; I have 10, 2 hour videos to create, can I fit at least a couple on one DVD?
    Sorry for all the questions, I'm just really confused...
    Thanks in advance for any help.

2. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

To edit out the scenes you don't want, use the split clip at playhead feature.
    Position the playhead where you want the first break, and hit command-T (I think, better check the menu). Then, place it at the end of the break, and hit command-T again. You can then remove the shorter clip as you like, or move it around, etc.

I'm not much help on the importing stuff, as all I ever work with if DV from my camcorder.

3. steamboat26 thread starter macrumors 65816

steamboat26

Thanks
    Do you know how to delete all the playheads? (keep the video in between them, but just clear them all?)

4. steamboat26 thread starter macrumors 65816

steamboat26

Another question- when i am exporting the recordings from eyetv, should i export them as h.264 or mpeg4 or quicktime format?