Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fishbulb

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 2, 2007
Hello fellow Apple lovers,
I have a question about apple's imovie software. I have a movie that I need to drastically speed up. It is a 35 minute movie (mpg) and I need to be about 1 minute long. I want to simply speed it up, kind of like time lapse photography. Obviously adjusting the frame rate alone will probably not achieve this because I won't be able to get a frame rate fast enough. What I would like to do is to just remove every other frame or every 2, 3, ect frame. Can this be done easily with Imovie. I don't want to display the thousands of frames and do manually.
Thanks guys. Any leads will be greatly appreciated.
FB :)

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
iMovie does have a Video FX feature called "Fast/Slow/Reverse". I believe this should give you what you want. You may need to apply the effect multiple times in order to achieve the 1 minute length you desire.

EDIT: Seems you can only apply the effect once to the clip. You may need to find some way to export the sped-up clip, re-import it, and then apply the effect to this new clip.

fishbulb

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 2, 2007
Thanks a lot for the reply. Unfortunetly I don't know how the speed up feature is actually working in Imovie. So if it just increases the frame rate, I assume it will have a definite cap on how fast it can go. I'm trying the feature now but boy it's taking a long time to work with such a large file. It would still be nice to find a way to remove every Xth frame.
thanks again,
FB

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.