iMovie HD Help

gangst

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 27, 2004
UK
Hi all,

A friend of mine recently went to America and bought me an upgrade to iLife 05, the only problem is that after inatallation, I opened iMovie HD, and relised everything is set up for NTSC, how can I change these settings to PAL, or at least revert back to ilife 04

Regards Nick

john1123

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2005
Down Under
i believe it is the framerate option in the general preferences:

29.99 frames/s = NTSC
25 frames/s = PAL

but i could be wrong. not sure.

Laslo Panaflex

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2003
Tokyo
PAL framrate is not the only thing that makes it different from NTSC, it's interlacing is backwards from NTSC, meaning it does odd lines first then even, or is it the other way around? Either way the interlacing is different, and changing the framerate might not solve all problems . . .

I am thinking that since you bought the american version, it is NTSC only, you need to buy a UK version to get PAL, but that's just a guess.

john1123

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2005
Down Under
Apple help unveils the secret

found it! it's in the imovie apple help:

iMovie Help said:
To export a movie in NTSC or PAL format:

1. Choose File > Share and click QuickTime.

2. Choose Expert Settings from the compression pop-up menu and click Share.

3. Type a name for your movie and choose where you want to save it.

4. Choose "Movie to QuickTime Movie" from the Export pop-up menu and click Options.

5. In the Video pane, click Settings to open the Compression Settings window.

6. Choose a format from the pop-up menu (DV-PAL or DVCPRO-PAL for Europe, DV-NTSC or DVCPRO-NTSC for North America and Japan).

7. Drag the Quality slider to the desired quality. Best is recommended.

8. Type a value in the "Frames per second" field (25 for PAL and 29.97 for NTSC), and then click OK.

9. Click Size to open the Export Size Settings window, and then click "Use custom size."

10. Type a value in the Width field (720 for both PAL and NTSC) and in the Height field (576 for PAL and 480 for NTSC), and click OK.

11. Click Settings in the Sound pane. Leave Compressor set at None.

12. Choose 48.000 from the kHz pop-up menu in the Sound Settings window.

13. Select "16 bit" and "Stereo," and then click OK.

14. Click OK in the Movie Settings window.

15. Click Save.

Laslo Panaflex

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2003
Tokyo
That doesn't help if he is capturing PAL footage with NTSC settings. Like I said, the interlacing is different, but if you change the frame rate to 25 you might be ok. If not, you can just deinterlace the footage and hopefully have no troubles. That's if there is even a deinterlace option in iMovie HD.

john1123

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2005
Down Under
Laslo Panaflex said:
That doesn't help if he is capturing PAL footage with NTSC settings. Like I said, the interlacing is different, but if you change the frame rate to 25 you might be ok. If not, you can just deinterlace the footage and hopefully have no troubles. That's if there is even a deinterlace option in iMovie HD.
in that case:

iMovie HD automatically detects whether your DV format should be NTSC or PAL, and detects the frame rate of your camera, so you don't need to specify these items.
if you don't want to capture your own footage from your camera but make a slideshow with transmissions and music, you can choose what format to use when making a new project.

hope this helps.