iMovie HD Help?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by thebigfish22, Apr 11, 2007.

1. thebigfish22 macrumors newbie

Hello mac rumors,

This is my first time here, and with so much information on here I was wondering if you could help me with something.

I just got back from vacation where I used a JVC internal HDD video camera to film over 12 hours of footage. I wanted to make a little movie using iMovie but when I transferred all the files via USB cable (the only option for the camera), I found that iMovie doesn't recognize the files for use. Is there anythign that I am doing wrong? Do I have to convert these files using a 3rd party program? Is there a better program that is easy to use with a good amount of features that I should use instead? (I can't afford Final Cut Pro) I would appreciate any help you can give me. Thank you all.

If it helps: I have a brand new Intel based iMac, with a JVC Enviro HDD 30gb

2. bmcgonag macrumors 65816

bmcgonag

Is it JVC Enviro or Everio, either way There should be several files you are looking for.

My JVC HDD camera makes them and they are called .mod files. There are also .moi, but you can trash those post-transfer.

The .mod are actually .mpeg files, you can change the extension and preview them in mplayer, or vlc. Quicktime will show the video, but no audio.

Get this program MPEG StreamClip. That is the link for the Mac version.

If that link doens't work, then just go to http://www.squared5.com/ and get the Mac version.

1. Install MPEG StreamClip
    2. drag a .mod file to it.
    3. Preview it (optional). Can be done with sound without changing extension.
    4. To Edit in iMovie do: File>>Export as DV
    5. Give it a Name that you like, or leave it default from camera, pay attention to where it is converting it too.
    6. Drag new dv encoded clip into iMovie, and edit away.

hope this helps.

Brian

3. twocargar macrumors newbie

twocargar

Re: iMovie HD Help

If your camera has a FireWire port (IEEE 1394 / iLink), you should be able to capture the footage from your camera into iMovie directly. Most cameras do not come with the cable, so you would need to buy a 4-pin to 6-pin FireWire cable. If your camera has this port, this would be a much easier way to do it.

-TCG

4. Dannymonky macrumors member

Dannymonky

My JVC MG 155 HD Camera came w/ a dock that had Firewire but i had to buy the firewire cable. Before that it was kind of alot of work to transfer and convert MOD. files. Much easier w/ FW. Sweet little cam.Maybe the dock w/ firewire port is available from JVC for your model.

5. thebigfish22 thread starter macrumors newbie

I downloaded MPEG StreamClip, and when I went to drag a .mod file this box came up that said:

The Apple QuickTime 6 MPEG-2 Playback Component is not installed...

You will miss the two most important features of MPEG Streamclip:
    - you won't be able to play MPEG-2 files and transport streams;
    - you won't be able to convert MPEG-2 files and transport streams to QuickTime, DV, AVI.

However, all other features are always available, including playback and conversion of MPEG-1 to QuickTime, DV, AVI, demuxing of MPEG-1 and MPEG-2, AC3 decoding, and conversion from transport streams to MPEG files (useful if you have Toast 6).

MPEG Streamclip is free of charge but the MPEG-2 Playback Component has a small price (around $20/£15/€20 in most countries); you can buy it online from Apple:
    http://www.apple.com/quicktime/mpeg2

Is this normal? I appologize if this seems ignorant or if this has been discussed numerous times already, but like I said, I am brand new to iLife and macrumos. I just want to learn how to do this please.

6. bmcgonag macrumors 65816

bmcgonag

OK, I guess since I already had all the apple stuff installed I never saw that particular method. So if you don't want to buy the mpeg-2 support, assuming that the JVC is making mpeg-2 files, and can't do any other type of file encoding, I'm not sure where to go from there on a mac.

i have some ideas about how to do it with Windows, but again you are getting into multiple steps.

Sorry it's not working out with ease for you.

Brian

7. bmcgonag macrumors 65816

bmcgonag

One Thing, When I got my JVC, the CD that came with it had both Windows and OS X software.

Can't remember what the name of the OS X version of software is, but if you haven't checked the instruction books closely, and checked the CD closely, it might be worth a second look. Especially if you can import your movies and use their software to get them into some format which is easier to work with.

Brian