iMovie HD Help

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Khryz, Dec 29, 2009.

1. Khryz macrumors 6502a

This is weird.

Usually, when I try to import a 25 minute HD .mpeg4 clip into iMovie HD it takes about 30 minutes to import.

Now, I am importing a 25 minute clip and it is telling me it is going to take 3 hours to import. Whoa! I haven't changed any settings at all, so I am very curious as to what is causing this.

Any ideas?

2. Khryz thread starter macrumors 6502a

Can anyone give me any ideas on why this could happen?

What could make iMovie import a video about 5-6x slower?

3. huntercr macrumors 65816

First thing I would do is reboot.
    After that check free disk space on your boot drive and make sure 50GB+ are free,

If that doesn't work, convert the video to the AIC codec with MPEG Streamclip before importing.
    ( which is probably better anyway than trusting iMovie to import )

4. Khryz thread starter macrumors 6502a

I have about 20-30 GB free on average. I feel like I had that much when it was importing quicker before.

I will try deleting some stuff.

5. Khryz thread starter macrumors 6502a

Another iMovie brain buster ..

I export an EyeTV file directly to an iMovie HD file to make it simpler. However, when I try and edit and add transitions or effects on clips everything turns black.

Okay ..

So I export it natively with H.264 and use that .mpeg4 file to import into iMovie - of course like my original post states it is importing way too slow. But when it finished, I can edit the clips with transitions and they all work.

How is that possible?

Do I need to re-install iMovie?