iMovie HD issue and iMovie 09 question..

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by BitterB, Oct 14, 2009.

1. BitterB macrumors member

I didn't get any responses when I posted this in the "Mac Applications" forum, so I figure I'll post it here in the video experts forum.......here goes:

I just migrated from Tiger to Snow Lep and it seems Snow Lep adversely impacts my old iMovie HD 06 projects, and it won't even allow me to create new projects the way I used to using iMovie HD....the timing gets all messed up.

The issue with iMovie HD in Snow Lep seems to be around the timing of stills and photos. Snow Lep isn't recognizing the time limits I set on the stills and the voice over narration and plug-in effects I've added aren't working the way they should...like they did in the Tiger world.

Can anyone with iMovie 09 experience tell me if the new version can handle what I need?? What I want iMovie to do is be able to handle my sports highlight clips, my voice over of training comments, title slides and stills between video clips, and also allow me to use a video effect like a circle or arrow to identify the players to focus on. Are effects like circles and arrows already built in, or available as a 3rd party plug-in add-on?? I create training videos for game officials, and if I could get iMovie 09 to do what I need....bye bye iMovie HD.

Thanks in advance for your comments. I have iLife 09 as part of the 'box set' I purchased, but haven't installed it yet.

2. xStep macrumors 68000

Voice over and inserting images is available. There is built in titling too. There are no effects as you want and Apple has not released a plug-in architecture for iMovie 09. Transitions between clips are available.

For title slides that overlay the video, or the circles & arrows, you could try using picture-in-picture with images that have transparency. I just tested this with a PNG file. The limit is that the image would be fixed in place where you want it. You couldn't for instance have an arrow follow a subject. This is similar to the channel logos that you see on the lower screen of TV shows.

Final Cut Express would allow you to track subjects via paths for an object such as a arrow. You can also do the other things you need.

You might want to see the Apple tutorials for iMovie to get some ideas what it can do. See the tutorial link near the top of the iMovie page.

3. BitterB thread starter macrumors member

Transparent image

xStep.....neat idea with the transparent image. So it sounds like you are suggesting creating a transparent image, moving into a clip, then bringing that clip into a picture in picture spot of my choosing in the video. It could work.

Do you know if I can create a completely transparent image that is a square, then apply a colored border to the picture in picture frame, which would appear as basically a square from the viewers perspective?? I could then re-size this image to highlight the spot in my still image I want people to focus on. Make sense??

Now, what program could I use to create such a square transparent image??

4. xStep macrumors 68000

What I did was to first drag my video into the project. I then imported a transparent image into iPhoto, found it via the iMovie 09 media browser and dragged it on top of the clip. A popup menu appeared and I choose the PiP option which placed the image over top of the video. I was then able to resize and reposition it.

I used Pixelmator to create a transparent PNG file with a rough arrow. There is no reason why you couldn't make a square with transparency in the middle, or a circle. I'm no pixel pusher so I have trouble creating things with this program.