iMovie HD - No Sound w/ Sony CyberShot

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by dottywine, Nov 5, 2008.

1. dottywine macrumors newbie

Hi, some of you may know of this problem. Sony films with MPG so the sound and video are MUXED and they need to be DEMUXED to work in iMovie HD.

I have downloaded this:
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/macbbdemux

And it doesn't seem to do anything.

The links for "Streamline" do not work.

And then there is one more I could have used, but apparently, it only works in conjuction with a 30 dollar software.

I need help. Should I just go find final cut pro? Is there a free video editor somewhere? What about regular Imovie?

2. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

You can use iSquint to convert them to MP4 files...you lose a bit of quality even at the highest quality conversion settings, but at least it sort of works. iSquint has been discontinued, but is still available from MacUpdate, so grab it while you still can.

3. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

Are you sure you are looking for a program called Streamline?

I wonder if you meant MPEG Streamclip instead? It is a great free video conversion tool and one of the features noted on the main page of the web site is that "it can convert MPEG files between muxed/demuxed formats for authoring;", so I suspect that that is the actual program.

BTW- The once was a program called Streamline for the Mac. It was a vector tracing program put out by Adobe, so there are probably still a lot of links around for that leading to the confusion.

4. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

MPEG Streamclip can't handle MPEG-2 files without the $20 playback component from Apple.

And I've read that people who do spring for the component and then try to convert generally end up with only video...no audio.

5. TheReef macrumors 68000

TheReef

I think the Sonys record to MPEG1. Hah, back in the day I would use WireTap to extract the sound then combine them in iMovie.

6. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Maybe some do, but mine (DCR-DVD610) records in MPEG-2.

7. TheReef macrumors 68000

TheReef

Ahhh yes a DVD camcorder would, I thought you were referring to a point and shoot digital.

8. dottywine thread starter macrumors newbie

You guys, thanks for the help. It looks like I'm just going to have to use final cut pro. That is, if this squared 5 program doesn't work and I am expecting it not to because nothing ever works.

Yes, I am using a POINT AND SHOOT DIGITAL CAMERA.