Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rosenthalm1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 20, 2014
Hi All,

I have an Imac that is running Snow Leopard and Imovie 11. For years I have been trying to figure out how to get HD 1080 movies to DVD with decent picture quality. I have exported many Imovie projects to IDVD via "Media Browser" Now recently, when I export to media browser it does not show my project. If I decide to take plan B and export directly to IDVD it burns a DVD that has poor quality and also spots without audio. I have given up. I was thinking of maybe just exporting the HD project and playing through Apple TV but even that confuses me because in order to play on Apple tv you have to reduce the quality. My goal is to preserve my Imovie home movie projects in HD and have them accessible to play on my TV whenever I want. I can't burn to blu ray but I still want to keep all projects so that in the future maybe I can burn to Blu Ray. At this point, I just want to be able to watch my HD home movies once edited and chapter marked! That is one of the main reasons I bought an apple imac. Now I feel like the whole thing is a headache. Can anyone give me some options? My kids want to see their home movies. Also, I don't want two copies on my computer. I know I could export one copy to itunes and then store another full HD copy on my hard drive but that is too much. I just wanna play my movies on my tv after they have been edited and cool themes and transitions added in IMovie. Thanks!

BJMRamage

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2007
Hi All,

I have an Imac that is running Snow Leopard and Imovie 11. For years I have been trying to figure out how to get HD 1080 movies to DVD with decent picture quality. I have exported many Imovie projects to IDVD via "Media Browser" Now recently, when I export to media browser it does not show my project. If I decide to take plan B and export directly to IDVD it burns a DVD that has poor quality and also spots without audio. I have given up. I was thinking of maybe just exporting the HD project and playing through Apple TV but even that confuses me because in order to play on Apple tv you have to reduce the quality. My goal is to preserve my Imovie home movie projects in HD and have them accessible to play on my TV whenever I want. I can't burn to blu ray but I still want to keep all projects so that in the future maybe I can burn to Blu Ray. At this point, I just want to be able to watch my HD home movies once edited and chapter marked! That is one of the main reasons I bought an apple imac. Now I feel like the whole thing is a headache. Can anyone give me some options? My kids want to see their home movies. Also, I don't want two copies on my computer. I know I could export one copy to itunes and then store another full HD copy on my hard drive but that is too much. I just wanna play my movies on my tv after they have been edited and cool themes and transitions added in IMovie. Thanks!

For starters, you can't get HD quality on a DVD. I think it ends up better than 480, but not close to 720.
*I know because each year (once with each child) I make a Year-in-Review Movie. I then make a DVD to play at the grandparents' houses. (and a DVD for the party)

I decided last year to export as 1080 & 720 and import into iTunes. the quality of both was HD and awesome! however, the 1080 hiccups on Comcast Xfinity 105Mbps Wifi. 720 plays fine but isn't as crisp.

I cannot upload these to the iMovie Theater as they are huge! (they run 25-35 minutes)

So, I have on the computer the images/videos in iPhoto/Aperture...the movie in iMovie...the iDVD project...and 1 or 2 versions in iTunes (and a version on DVD). a Major Pain in the butt. but I can watch them on the main TV or take the DVD anywhere.

Not sure this helps you any.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.