Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AFABS

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 23, 2008
I need to do a time lapse video with my DSLR, canon 40d, for my independent study for school. The software i'll be using is iMovie HD, unless there's something more adequate as well as free. I know you can change how long a single frame appears on the timeline in iMovieHD. Is there a way I can drop hundreds of photos in the timeline and change them all to be the same frame length? Say .1 or .2 seconds. Any help or any alternate ways would be greatly appreciated.

spice weasel

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2003
It's easier to do it in QuickTime than in iMovie. Use QuickTime 7 Pro and and go to File--> "Open Image Sequence," and point it at the first image file. Just make sure all your files are sequentially numbered (if not, you can run them through Automator and do a batch filename change).

Select the framerate and the other output options are you are good to go.

AFABS

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 23, 2008
I have read you can do it in QTP. I was looking for something free but it's only 30 bucks so maybe it might be worth it just for timelapse photography itself.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.