Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mr. MacBook

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 28, 2007
So I'm on iMovie HD and "iMovie HD quit unexpectedly."

I reopen and find that since i didnt save, everythings GONE.

I open the trash and EVERYTHING is there.

Can i move files out of the trash? I tried dragndrop but it doesent drag.

Cole Slaw

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2006
Canada
What about if you double clicked on the trashcan to open the trash folder, then went up to the menubar and clicked on "Edit", then "Undo" (top choice in the Edit list)?

madog

macrumors 65816
Nov 25, 2004
Korova Milkbar
Are you talking about the iMovie trash or the system Trash? There is a difference and if one doesn't work try checking the other. I'm thinking that in iMovie you need to drag the files back into iMovie and not to the Finder or desktop.

pianoman

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2006
ok not sure what's going on here. i just opened iMovie and had some things in the trash but it let me move them back to the project. i didn't experience a crash, though, so there might be some corruption due to that.

i know that iMovie files must be on a drive formatted as Mac OS Extended (Journaled). they won't work on a drive formatted any other way - even external drives must be formatted as Mac OS. perhaps this is the root of your issue.

i can't think of anything else that would have caused this issue right now. it definitely is suspicious that the files are still in the trash and not just gone after the app crashed.

keep us informed.

knute

macrumors newbie
Apr 26, 2007
So I'm on iMovie HD and "iMovie HD quit unexpectedly."

I reopen and find that since i didnt save, everythings GONE.

I open the trash and EVERYTHING is there.

Can i move files out of the trash? I tried dragndrop but it doesent drag.

I had the same thing happen yesterday, exactly. I CAN NOT get the clips out of imovie trash, there has got to be a way because the clips are on the hard drive. I am new to imovie and this does not fill me with confidence

bmcgonag

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2007
Texas
I had the same thing happen yesterday, exactly. I CAN NOT get the clips out of imovie trash, there has got to be a way because the clips are on the hard drive. I am new to imovie and this does not fill me with confidence

Any clips that I trash, i've been able to drag back to iMovie main screen if I want them back.

willyp

macrumors newbie
Mar 28, 2008
This same exact thing happened to me, I know this is an old thread but I didn't find a good answer, so hopefully this helps someone searching on this.

I could not drag my files over either. So, what I did was just said oh well, I guess I lost them, and I quit the program. Re opened it immediately, and the clips were still in the trash. This time, drag and dropable.

RCMS

macrumors newbie
Apr 9, 2008
iMovie HD Trash

I got the "quit unexpectedly" error message. It took me 2 days to figure it out. I tried to update the imovie software. Go to the top, click on the apple, then do software update. Finally, the problem is fixed.

If you try, and it doesn't help, I would suggest you to install iMovie HD 06. I heard some users said iMovie 06 works better than iMovie 08 and doesn't come up the unexpected error message.

Good luck :)

firstmacbook

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2008
It works!

This same exact thing happened to me, I know this is an old thread but I didn't find a good answer, so hopefully this helps someone searching on this.

I could not drag my files over either. So, what I did was just said oh well, I guess I lost them, and I quit the program. Re opened it immediately, and the clips were still in the trash. This time, drag and dropable.

For those of you in doubt... tried this method.. and it works!!
so just quit the program (when they ask you do you want to save... say no)
and then reopen it again, and you can then drag your clips back out of the trash !!

mememe2

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2010
For those of you in doubt... tried this method.. and it works!!
so just quit the program (when they ask you do you want to save... say no)
and then reopen it again, and you can then drag your clips back out of the trash !!

that IS true, i had a 20 minute freak out, but followed your advice- it REALLY works- BUT! you DO NOT HAVE TO SAY NO WHEN THEY ASK YOU IF YOU WANT TO SAVE. i was all scared if mine would just lose everything, so i hit save, then reopened it, and could magically drag and drop again!! Hallelujah!!!:):):)

Stallcop88

macrumors newbie
Dec 19, 2010
eassy fix

I was in same position as all of you and couldn't figure out for long time, in fact you don't have to reset anything, you just have to drag it to the right place.

So drag your movie from trash into the movie line
In the time table below the movie screen and clips, there are three lines divide: one for movie, one for music, and the last one is I think for voice recording. Drag your movie from trash into the first line into the first timeline which is strictly for video, if you drag it anywhere else it won't work. If you're confused still and need help you can see my screen shot on this site so you can see what I am talking about.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y268/BurnedLetter/Picture2-3.jpg

Hope this helps!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.