iMovie HD Video Layers?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by bmcgonag, Apr 8, 2007.

1. bmcgonag macrumors 65816

bmcgonag

If this has been asked before, then I apologize, I searched, but didn't find anything about this.

I want to know how to layer a video clip on top of another video clip in iMovieHD, like in the news when the little corner clip comes up over the news-caster's shoulder.

Thanks,

Mac

2. Super Macho Man macrumors 6502a

Super Macho Man

Can't do that in iMovie, you need something that supports multiple video layers which iMovie doesn't. Next step up would be Final Cut Express.

3. bmcgonag thread starter macrumors 65816

bmcgonag

And how much is that little gem? Probably too much for me, but off to the Apple store I go.

Thanks,

Brian

4. bmcgonag thread starter macrumors 65816

bmcgonag

For those interested, you can create layers with a nice piece of software called VideoCue Pro offered by VaraSoft.

You can do window in window shots, and adjust the resolution of the output file.

While it is not intended for only this purpose, it does work. You just need to know how long your clip is, and then Return down until that time has been reached.

If you are doing a lot of window in window (layered) video editing, probably the Final Cut products are more what you want. But if if it not so often, the Varasoft offers a $39 version that may be all you need.

Best,

Brian

5. mox358 macrumors 6502

mox358

Get QT Pro

You can accomplish this with Quicktime Pro for basic layers. QT Pro lets you mask off areas and layer movies on top of one another, then export to your format of choice.

There is a big thing about it in this month's Macworld magazine.