iMovie Help (can't use .mov)

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by A1SteakSauce, Jul 4, 2008.

1. A1SteakSauce macrumors member

A1SteakSauce

Ok, so my camera records in .mov but for some reason iMovie '08 won't recognize it and won't let me drag or import it. If this problem can not be fixed, can someone suggest a free video converter. I just feel that iMovie should be able to import all or most video formats. :eek:

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

What kind of camera is it?

As far as a free converter, google MPEG Streamclip.

3. ArtOfWarfare macrumors 604

ArtOfWarfare

I feel the same way as you.

However, Apple chose to throw the amazing program called iMovie HD out the window and put iMovie '08 in its place and see if anyone noticed the difference.

I did.

iMovie '08 is a piece of crap and I wouldn't ever recommend it. It has far fewer transitions. fewer titles. less precision. It's just really crappy. Oh, and one of the big features they advertise... "no waiting"... that's just a complete lie. I've had to wait for it to import files, apply transitions, export files, upload things to YouTube... all they've done is made it so when you do some of the tasks rather than display a progress bar and message telling you what it's doing it just slows down while you get to wonder why it's gone unresponsive... maybe some people will even restart their computers in their confusion assuming it must have crashed.

I'd recommend taking Apple's free "downgrade" to iMovie HD.

LOL

You're right! It doesn't accept .mov files! God it really is such a terrible program. "Scrubbing" and the direct upload to YouTube are the only useful features that got added... but they took away so many old features that were in iMovie HD...