imovie help HD and non-HD on in the same project

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by tic32, Jun 26, 2008.

1. tic32 macrumors newbie

I am in the middle of creating a movie in imovie06 but technology has given me a curve ball! Half our tapes where taped on an HD camcorder so they are HD but the other half were taped on a standard DV non-HD. So my delema is this. Is there a way I came import both of these formats in the same imove project? I tried after importing all the HD tapes it it would not allow me to do it. If not can you tell me what the easiest way is to down grade the HD to be able to use all the tapes in one video?

Thanks in advance!

2. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

Unfortunately I can't offer any help on how to downgrade the HD video (if that is even technically feasible), but I can just confirm what you have found out so far- that it will not work in mixed formats in iMovie. The reason I bring this up is that the ability to combine formats easily is one of the things they really feature about Final Cut Express 4- the program that is a great step up when your needs and ambitions have outgrown any of the versions of iMovie.

I switched over a couple of months ago and while there undoubtedly a learning curve, Final Cut Express sure does give you a LOT more capability than my beloved iMovie HD (iMovie 6's real name), so it something you might want to consider for the future.