Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

greatm31

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 19, 2001
Does anyone know if there are backwards compatibility problems involving opening an iMovie 5 (HD) file in iMovie 4? The file isn't HD, so it should work, right? This is for a friend who's having what one might call a "movie-editing emergency," strange as it may seem. Anyone got a clue?

robbents99

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2001
Directly under the sun....now.
I'm having the similar problem. My friend has a G3 800 iBook. 356megs of memory. Was working on a 9 gig imovie project in iMovie in 10.3.9.

I upgrade his laptop to Tiger and we don't think anything of the project and he doesn't patch iMovie since he doesn't have High Speed Net.

We tried to open his project, it opens, but the sound and the video is slow, the video sounds like it's underwater. I run the patch so he has iMovie 5.0.2 and still the same thing. We figure it's the laptop or Tiger and we can use the copy on my laptop.

I go back to my laptop, 1.5 GHZ, 512 meg of memory and the same thing happens when I play it on my iMovie and through my 180 gig Firewire Drive.

I've played around with the different settings in iMovie to see if the different frame rate will help or the playback options and nothing it still too slow but the sound is fine.

Am I missing something? Or is anyone else having this problem?

I'm going to go record some video just for kicks and try to edit it and see what happens.

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
Going backwards usually doesn't work (i.e. from a newer version to an older version). Also, making changes to your software mid-project typically only makes very bad things happen. ;)

Lethal

robbents99

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2001
Directly under the sun....now.
LethalWolfe said:
Going backwards usually doesn't work (i.e. from a newer version to an older version). Also, making changes to your software mid-project typically only makes very bad things happen. ;)

Lethal

Under most circumstances I would agree with you, but, I was able to open other older iMove projects with no problems, I just having problems with this one specific project so I'll rephrase my question:

Has anyone had any problems with large old iMovie projects, say, about, 9 gigs or higher with the video freezing and the sound aok, in iMovie HD?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.