imovie HELP Skipping on Pictures

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by lanajane12345, Apr 22, 2010.

1. lanajane12345 macrumors newbie

I am working on a memorial via imovie video for my dad that recently passed away. I have spent hours on this scanning 400 pictures, adding a video clip, and music it is turning out really well. I thought it was about done and I was going to fine tune the music as I have 4 tracks, the total video is 20 minutes. All of a sudden I started to notice that the time line was moving too fast over the pictures and not in sync then it would skip through a picture or two to get caught up but it isn't working in sync as it was any help would be appreciated. I would hate to redrop the pictures into another imovie and start over. I went though and deleted old movies and cleaned my hard drive to 23 GB available.

I have a OSX 10.5.8 thanks!

2. Eddie P macrumors newbie

I assume you are using iLife 09 (iMovie 9)?

I have not personally seen this, but I have seen a host of other little "bugs" in iMovie that are odd, and sort of similar. What computer are you using?

I'm just going to give a few basics that may help:

1) Make sure you do not have any clips on "slow Motion" that are not specifically using the "snap to" settings iMovie wants you to use, like 25%, 50%, etc. Custom slow mo settings really add a lot of bugs to the project.
    2) Shut down any other items not needed that may be running in the background.
    3) Take a look at your total memory left - if you are close to maxed out, put something large on an external hard drive or something to give you a little headroom.
    4) I have a feeling your playback is just getting hung up due to a (lack thereof) of computer processing power. If you "share" the project to a test file and view it, you are probably going to be fine. But do the above to make sure you don;t have any random bugs in there and enough processing power so that when you do "share" to your test file to view, it all goes smoothly.

Good luck, let us know how it goes.

3. natlinxz macrumors newbie

As the user above said, I'm assuming you are using iMovie 09.

Anyway, iMovie is not a heavy duty program, by any means. Project files get corrupted left, right, and centre. When a project file is corrupt, theres nothing you can do about it (except start over).

It's not necesarily a corrupt file, however. In my experiences with iMovie, it has trouble with pictures of a weird aspect ratio. Say, for example, you took a banner off a website, or a screenshot that is about six times as high as it is wide, iMovie has issues. My suggestion in that case would be to get pictures of a regular aspect ratio, such as 4:3, or 16:9

4. huntercr macrumors 65816

OK this is just a hunch... if you export the video, does it still drop the pictures, or is it just during the live playback?

I think your system is having trouble keeping up with loading each of those pictures ( since I'll bet you imported them without shrinking the resolution on the scanned pictures ). If this is the case, when you export the movie, it won't have trouble keeping up when playing the exported version.