Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NCTRNL

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 17, 2004
Kansas City
If I have a song in there that is on the soundtrack and it goes longer than the movie, how do I cut off that end of the song so that it ends when the movie ends and doesn't extend the video with a minute of black screen? I figure there has to be a way to do it but I can't figure it out.

-Ryan

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
NCTRNL said:
If I have a song in there that is on the soundtrack and it goes longer than the movie, how do I cut off that end of the song so that it ends when the movie ends and doesn't extend the video with a minute of black screen? I figure there has to be a way to do it but I can't figure it out.

-Ryan
I know this can be done because I've done it with a short video that I made. This was back with iMovie 2, but I don't think that's a feature that would be taken away.

Try to find a way to split the audio clip into two separate clips. Then delete the clip that falls outside of the actual video timeline.

Good Luck.

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
Sorry I'm on my PB not my iMac (trashed a bunch of the i-apps) but here are some notes I took from an Apple Camp:

• when in iMovie, you can crop the audio track to coincide w/ the visual clips: drop a header/ marker where you want the splice, then go up to “edit” menu and select “split video clip at playhead”
• you can also “fade out” the audio track (somehow a reddish/yellowish ball—the indicator for volume, w/ several points, simply drag down each point until it hits the bottom)
o go to “view” and select “show clip volume levels”
o a thin line will appear within the purple audio track
o drag down from that line

Sorry if they don't make any sense to you! I'll try to update later when I have my iMac to fiddle w/.

NCTRNL

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 17, 2004
Kansas City
Yep, that makes sense. I don't know why I couldn't find the 'Split Audio Clip at Playhead' thing. I got it now. Thanks for the help...

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
you can just cut it off, select the audio track and do command T i think or the split at play head. Unselect the audio... then click which half you want and press delete or drag it back up to to the clips plane
makes sence?

edit - this is more work but you can use garage band too

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.