imovie help

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by 1930artdeco, Apr 27, 2012.

1. 1930artdeco macrumors newbie

Hello,

First time poster here and I think I am posting in the right spot, if not please move it to correct spot. I am working with a museum to jump start their veterans interview program. We have a G3 (running OS 10.3) with a 1.9 GB HD. I am trying to use imovie vers. 3 I believe (2003-2005).

The trouble that we are having is the camera that I am using is a 1997ish Canon D.V. camcorder (XL 1A) that only records in high resolution. I also cannot seem to get the computer to upload the video in a lower resolution format. At this point I can import no more than about 8-10 mins. and the HD shows full.

My question is how do I upload in a lower resolution so that I can tape a full hour and then burn to a disk? Is there a way to restructure the HD to 'create' more memory? I am not a computer wiz by any stretch but I can follow directions. So any help will be very much appreciated.

Mike

2. simsaladimbamba

That camera is an SD camera and does not record in HD, but since it records on a Mini DV tape and iMovie stores the video using the DV codec, 1 sec of video will approx. take 3 MB/s, 13 GB/hr.
    If you really want to use that Mac, either invest in an external Firewire 400 HDD to connect to the iMac* to get more storage.
    Since you didn't tell us what exact model your have, we can only guess what its original HDD capacity was (ranging from 4 GB to 60 GB).
    To find out what Mac OS X version you run, click :apple: > About This Mac:
    [​IMG]
    To find out, what exact Mac model you use, click :apple: > About This Mac > More Info > Hardware Overview:
    [​IMG]
    To see a more elaborate image explaining the above steps, click here.
    To see a more detailed video tutorial showing the above steps, click here (2 MB, 23s, .mp4).​

Have you looked at Disk Utility yet to see, how big the HDD is and how big the partition is Mac OS X resides on?

Links to guides on how to use Disk Utility, the application Mac OS X provides for managing internal and external HDD/SSDs and its formats.

To find out, where you hard drive capacity is being used, you can use the following free applications:
    Maybe try a combination of several, if you still can't find the "missing" capacity.

Btw, "memory" is not the same as "hard drive capacity":
    It is recommended, to have 10 to 20 % of the HDD's capacity unused.

* iMac <cable> HDD <cable> Canon DV camera​

3. N0k14 D14B10 macrumors newbie

N0k14 D14B10

The best help I can give is vthat you could get a lower resoulution camera at. Walmart for 40$ and instead of useing what little hdd you have and record vin a lower resoulution....

4. simsaladimbamba

That will probably more CPU intensive though, as those cameras probably use some compression (MPEG-2 or MPEG-4) to store the video.
    And what lower resolution is there to get? DV is already 720 x 576 (PAL) or 720 x 480 (NTSC) pixels, 640 x 480 will not be that much lower.