iMovie Help

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by mugojoe, Dec 23, 2014.

1. mugojoe macrumors newbie

mugojoe

I created a movie in iMovie 10.0.5 of my future son-in-law proposing to my daughter last week at Walt Disney World. After I had the movie the way I wanted it, I clicked the "Share" icon, chose file and saved it as "Colin Proposal". The .mp4 file "Colin Proposal.mp4" was created. When I double click the file, it says "QuickTime Player can't open "Colin Proposal.mp4". I clicked the "Tell Me More" button in the error window and it takes me to a list of supported file types in QuickTime, one of which is .mp4. Has anyone else run into this? I've tried to play the file on multiple Macs and run into the same error. I can view the movie in my "Theatre" on iMove because it created a copy there. However, I need a working file so I can create a DVD in iDVD to give out to the family when we get together on Christmas day. Any help is greatly appreciated :).

Thanks,
    Fred

2. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

Have you tried to export it again? It is possible that it did not "Share" properly the first time. This would be my first suggestion to try.

My next suggestion would be to try a different size. If it does not work at 1080P, then try 720P and see if you have any success with that.

3. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

4. mugojoe thread starter macrumors newbie

mugojoe

It Works!

Thanks for the suggestions Dave and firedept. I had tried exporting the file multiple times, but it would never work. Today, I exported it in 720p, adding 720 to the file name. The file worked! I tried again @ 1080p, again adding 1080 to the file name, and it worked as well. I haven't tried the original name and can't imagine that would have anything to do with it, but initially the file name was the exact name as my iMovie project. Like I said, it likely wasn't that, but I'll try it again later without 1080 in the name to see if it makes any difference. Thanks again for the help. I now have DVDs to share with the family.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!