iMovie (how to edit in 16:9 mode vs 4:3) help :(

charlestrippy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 29, 2006
Tampa, Florida
Hey - some way or another I was able to get my Imovie to edit in 16:9 mode for all the hi-def videos - so i don't have to deal with the lame letterboxing while editing...

example of the 16:9 mode:

but the problem is it went back to 4:3 mode now so when i import my hd files it has the letterbox...

example of the 4:3 mode:

does anyone know how to switch between the two modes? thanks

sorry the images are so large

bigandy

macrumors G3
Apr 30, 2004
Murka
sorry the images are so large
Use TIMG instead of IMG to attach large files - it automatically resizes thumbnails. You can edit the above posts and add the T to the IMG and it'll sort it out.

This comes from iMovie's Help:

Changing the aspect ratio for your project
When you create a new project in iMovie, you’re asked to set an aspect ratio. This helps determine the final dimensions of the movie after you export it, but you can change it at any time before you export. You can choose either one of two standard aspect ratios, or a special ratio for movies you’ll view on your iPhone:

Widescreen (16:9): Makes the movie appear much wider than it is high. Widescreen movies are optimized for viewing on high definition (HD) TVs. When viewed on a standard television or computer monitor, they appear with black areas above and below (sometimes referred to as “letterbox”).

iPhone (3:2): Produces a movie of the best size for viewing on an iPhone.

Standard (4:3): Makes the movie more square in shape. When viewed on a standard TV or computer monitor, these movies can fill the screen. When viewed on an HD TV, they appear with black areas on the left and right of the video (sometimes referred to as “pillar box”).

To change a project’s aspect ratio:
  • Select the project’s name in the Project Library and choose File > Project Properties.
  • Choose an option from the Aspect Ratio pop-up menu

A movie takes on the aspect ratio that was set at the time it was exported into its final viewing format.
It may not be perfect, but you won't get more than that from iMovie.

Is it that some widescreen files are becoming 4:3 on import to the movie, or were they 4:3 already? I don't really know the solution if this is the case, being more of a FCP user :eek:

charlestrippy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 29, 2006
Tampa, Florida
Use TIMG instead of IMG to attach large files - it automatically resizes thumbnails. You can edit the above posts and add the T to the IMG and it'll sort it out.

This comes from iMovie's Help:

It may not be perfect, but you won't get more than that from iMovie.

Is it that some widescreen files are becoming 4:3 on import to the movie, or were they 4:3 already? I don't really know the solution if this is the case, being more of a FCP user :eek:

strange cuz i'm not seeing a file > project properties for imovie hd6?

charlestrippy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 29, 2006
Tampa, Florida
Open a new project and set it in the Preferences, save it and close it.

Then open another one... and it should let you dow 16:9 from the start (or at least that's how it worked pre-iMovie 08)
i don't see anything really in the preferences that say anything about the two formats...am i looking in the wrong place?

bigandy

macrumors G3
Apr 30, 2004
Murka
strange cuz i'm not seeing a file > project properties for imovie hd6?
Sorry, I missed the fact you're not on 08 there :eek:

You need to go to create a new project. If you don't see the options, IIRC there was a sort of drop down "more options" thing to show up creating a 16:9 project.

I'm just downloading iMovie HD 6 so I can see for sure where it is. 6min remaining, back shortly (will just edit this post when I know the answer) :)

charlestrippy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 29, 2006
Tampa, Florida
Sorry, I missed the fact you're not on 08 there :eek:

You need to go to create a new project. If you don't see the options, IIRC there was a sort of drop down "more options" thing to show up creating a 16:9 project.

I'm just downloading iMovie HD 6 so I can see for sure where it is. 6min remaining, back shortly (will just edit this post when I know the answer) :)
yeah i don't see an option for hd 6 but i do for 08 - but i need the timeline editing of 06 (plus i own some plugins that only work for 06 now)

thanks man, let me know if you figure it out it means a lot!

bigandy

macrumors G3
Apr 30, 2004
Murka
yeah i don't see an option for hd 6 but i do for 08 - but i need the timeline editing of 06 (plus i own some plugins that only work for 06 now)

thanks man, let me know if you figure it out it means a lot!
Here you go:

Check the option you want and that should be it... But for DV quality... :confused:

HD stuff will all be 16:9 by nature.. What sort of HD files do you have? Where/what are they from??

(Try this first then if it doesn't work, tell me).

charlestrippy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 29, 2006
Tampa, Florida
Here you go:

Check the option you want and that should be it... But for DV quality... :confused:

HD stuff will all be 16:9 by nature.. What sort of HD files do you have? Where/what are they from??

(Try this first then if it doesn't work, tell me).
i can not believe that was right under my nose like that!

i'm using a sony hdr-sr5 (which records to the new AVCHD format) so i'm having to use imovie 8 or fcp2 to import these files (since they import and convert) then I drag them to the program I want (for simple cuts, imovie - fcp for complex)

i was having issues with imovie since the project would pretty much double letterbox - but hopefully this will work now that you found the options!

i'll export and let you know how it looks!

thanks again so much!