iMovie/iDVD '09 - Chapter Issue

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by longmover, Aug 22, 2009.

1. longmover macrumors member

Hi all,

I am having a frustration problem with getting chapters to work in iDVD 09. I've added the chapter markers in iMovie 09 but no matter how I export the project (share>iDVD, Media Browser, Export Movie, Export Quicktime...) the markers just don't show up. Neither iDVD or Quicktime can see them, any ideas what I am doing wrong?

Cheers,

2. MKSinSA macrumors regular

MKSinSA

Did you check your chapter mappings to make sure they're working? Leftmost button of three at the bottom of your viewing pane?

3. longmover thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for your reply, it only shows the main movie, I think the problem is with iMovie rather than iDVD as quicktime doesn't see the chapter markers either. It's not the end of the world but I would like to have the chapters if I can, any ideas?

Thanks,

4. xStep macrumors 68000

The only way I got it work was to Share with iTunes. :mad:

5. longmover thread starter macrumors member

Worth a try! Thanks

6. longmover thread starter macrumors member

Arrgh, didn't work! :mad: damn it...

7. longmover thread starter macrumors member

Well, I've given up, no matter what I do I can't get the chapters to export from iMovie. My Niece will just have to have a chapter-less wedding DVD :(

Thanks for your responses.

8. xStep macrumors 68000

Well, I just upgraded to the latest version of iMovie 09 (8.0.4) and the iLife support files and I now can export chapters. I also updated iDVD, but that was not required.

There is also a way to add the chapters via QuickTime Pro. It is a bit of a hassle but does work with iDVD if you know the formula beyond what is in the QT-P help. Enter "Chapter" in the help lookup box and choose "Creating a Chapter List for a Movie" for the 20 steps.

The following are my extra QT-P notes...

PERSONAL NOTES:

The time sequence isn't in frame counts in QT-P. It looks like it is in 100'ths of a second. You'll need to adjust appropriately. Test chapter selections because you are likely selecting later than you think.

The first chapter at 00:00.00 may need to be named "Beginning". Chapter 1 can start at 00:00.01.

I believe the limit is 99 chapters.

In the Properties window:

The name for the text track, needs to be set to "Chapter Track".

The Enabled flag should be unchecked.

9. xStep macrumors 68000

The only buttons I see for chapters is in the attached picture. Taken from the upper right of the project pane, next to the view pane. In the picture I clicked on the triangle pointing down.

Attached Files:

10. Scriel macrumors newbie

Chapter markers iMovie 09

Just a thought Longmover, that is Chapter markers you are dragging and not Comment markers?

11. longmover thread starter macrumors member

Yep, Chapter markers all the way and I'm using the latest software versions too, i'm stumped and a little bit gutted: it doesn't "just work" damnit!

Thanks for all your help guys, if I get it solved I will let you know.

12. allisonk macrumors newbie

Longmover,

I have the same problem with iMovie and iDVD that you report. Did you ever find a solution?

13. Tomnibus macrumors newbie

Running all the latest too

I'm running all the latest too and I'm having this problem too.

Last night I did a "share -> iDVD" and I was surprised it was going to take 6 hours! (I have a 3-hour movie of family events burned to a DL-DVD). I also noticed that suddenly my main drive (not the external where all my movies are saved) started sucking up drive space.

I woke up in the morning to find that the project was saved to the main drive for me instead of my external drive (I had no choice) and when I started working on the theme for the DVD, all the chapters were not there.

This is pretty ridiculous! This is the first time I am using the new iMovie to create a project and export it.

14. kday1988 macrumors newbie

Getting the Chapters to show on your iDvd- ANSWER!!

I have the answer! I have been working on a project for 2 weeks with sleepless nights trying to get my chapters to show when i burn my idvd..read every forum, tutorial, etc...nothing worked...UNTIL NOW!

Its actually easy, but NOTHING anywhere tells you to do this! (i finally called apple!)

HERE's HOW:
    1. After you have created your iMovie, share it to iDvd..
    2. When your project is opened in iDvd, display the DVD Map (There should be three small icons when looking at your project in idvd, it is the first one) This will display a "flow chart" of your project.
    3. The VERY FIRST box is the key! If there is any content here, NO CHAPTERS WILL SHOW! This box tells the dvd to start playing automatically no matter what!
    4. Simply click on the box (highlight to blue) and click DELETE. You should now have a GREY Box in its place.
    Wha-LAH! It works!!!!!!

15. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

You can also add chapter markers from within iDVD:

To set chapter markers in a movie:

Open a project and select the movie you want to add chapter markers to by clicking the button that links to it once.

Choose Advanced > “Create Chapter Markers for Movie.”

Click the up and down arrows in the dialog that appears to specify the frequency of chapter markers, in minutes, in the movie.

You can also type a number in the text field.

Click OK.

16. waleoz macrumors newbie

iDVD Chapters - possible solution (worked for me)

I tried all the other suggestions made, and none of them worked.

I then had a look in iDVD > Preferences

On the Movies tab there is an option

When Importing movies 1 - create chapter submenus, 2 Do not create chapter submenus 3 - always ask.

Mine was set to "Do not" when I changed it to either of the other options - Hey Presto - it worked !

Hope it works for you too ;-)

17. furrygoose macrumors newbie

waleoz for president. you have just helped me end my 4-5 hours of misery. thank you, i'm off to bed now.:D