Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cryptochrome

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2002
I agree, although on the surface of it there doesn't seem to be a need for an apple web browser, there is a distinct need for a consumer-level website/webpage creation/editing program. I went looking for one today because I wanted to do some WYSIWYG editing and was sorely dissappointed, because besides the big commercial packages there simply aren't any.

This seems like it's right up apple's iApps line - make it one simple process, from creation to posting. It should integrate with iPhoto, iMovie, iDisk, and web sharing at the very least to let you make a full-fledged website. It should come with templates and clip art as well, and be a simple drag-and-drop affair. Beyond that it could do much more, leveraging technology like IBM's uServ, or even greater things.

My dream iApp combines p2p concepts, uServ technology, and all the best ideas of the web, page layout, p2p tech, fileserving, distributed and public chatting, conferencing, multisite searching, GPS coordinate=linking, and interactive technologies to allow you to create a personal node on the net, managed from your computer and available even when you're offline, using protocols unfettered by backwards compatibility to offer everything the net has to offer in one clean package. All the core functionalities of the net made simple and leveraged to create multilevel net communities around groups of distinct, expressive, individuals, instead of sites.

sparkleytone

macrumors 68020
Oct 28, 2001
Greensboro, NC
im sorry but the only hole i really see in the digihub strategy is the PDA.

gimme my iMate, because i know you have one in the works.

my Vx does fine for what i need, but nothing else does what i WANT.

sparkleytone

macrumors 68020
Oct 28, 2001
Greensboro, NC
well, heres my theory as to why the OTHER things will/won't happen.

Music: apple does not seem to be interested in the slightest in pro music because people dont want or need it as much as video.

p2p proggie: won't happen period. why do you think the iPod is only sync-able with one mac? if he wasn't before you have to know that now Steve Jobs is intellectual property savvy.

browser: this is just a pandoras box of sh*t. there are way too many standards, protocols, etc. let the survivors of the first browser war deal with it. the only promise i see in this is the fact that OS X has java2 built in, and that could be a real boon to browser development. so i guess this is a distant maybe.

iTalk: maybe they could buy the fire.app and make it sweet. its already a good ways in but it has performance issues. also, they'd really have to deal with the big companies bishing about it.

iPHP: my little name for a sitebuilder...maybe iSite. this is a fun little concept. make it really visual and cool. very much in the iMovie vain, as iPhoto is in certain ways. if they made it really easy, maybe i'd finally build one for my domain.

i think there will be one more piece of hub-hardware.

oh...and m$ DOESNT OWN VOTING SHARES!

Timo_Existencia

Contributor
Jan 2, 2002
Why the PDA Angst?

I agree that the largest "hole" in the digital hub strategy is the PDA. Give me iOrganize. A way to keep all of my contacts, wallet-size photos, portable mp3's and imovies in one compact, ultra-portable unit.

I just don't get the "angst" of some of you against the PDA concept? Why don't you want Apple to give us a killer PDA? Can someone (eyelikeart?) please explain this to me?

iPod came about because nobody was building a good, viable mp3 player. And currently, no one is building a good, viable PDA. Palm is dying becuase users want better integration with their desktop machines, and for Windows users, Pocket PC is providing this. What about us Mac OSX users?

Give me iOrganize, and a great PDA, and for me, the digital hub strategy will be complete.

rekras

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2001
NJ
Originally posted by evanmarx
hi everybody ... first of all ... i'm a die hard mac fan since years .. use macs for professional work (new media) and for home use ... i have 3 macs that i'm still actually using and 1 dell pc (for gaming, sorry) ..

since seeing SJ's 4part matrix of iSoftware (read subject), i was wondering if anything was missing that may be crucial for the consumer user ...

don't flame me at this ...

what i mostly use the pc for (besides gaming..) is software like netmeeting or M$ instant messenger (XP, which has now netmeeting functionality) to chat, talk and video conference with my brother and his kids on a daily if not hourly basis ... i think its great (not the software itself), but the functionalty it gives you ... i know that we (mac users) have MSIM on macos ... but what i would really like to see what Apple could make out of this functionality! ... after seeing how well iPhoto has been thought out (!!!) ... i'd die to see some iTalk/iConnect sw from apple SW dept. ... i think this is one of the key uses of the coming "digital hub"

only my 2 c
good idea but not compatible with apple's digital hub stradegy which apple seems to be focusing on, remember guys, every time apple puts software out it pisses off software companies that apple needs porting their software to macs.

sparkleytone

macrumors 68020
Oct 28, 2001
Greensboro, NC
my point was that altho i can get a Palm or Visor or whatnot, none of them offer what I want. They just get by. I would like it to be a wireless device with a nice color interface and capability of playing DiVX movies. (over the wifi LAN Connection)

Timo_Existencia

Contributor
Jan 2, 2002
Palm worse than pocket pc

Eyelikeart...

Simply put...if Steve feels that way...steve is wrong.

I own a Visor. It's a lousy PDA. It shouldn't even be called a PDA.

Again, I ask, why are you against Apple producing a PDA?

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA
re: Palm worse than pocket pc

because we all know that Steve Jobs clearly said that Apple has no interest in getting into that market again.... :eek:

jail

macrumors newbie
Jan 19, 2002
Australia
Re: re: Palm worse than pocket pc

Originally posted by eyelikeart
because we all know that Steve Jobs clearly said that Apple has no interest in getting into that market again.... :eek:

just because steve says he has no interest doesn't mean it's not a good idea. if enough people want it, he will come up with one.

i don't want a PDA myself, but a few of my friends would kill for an apple PDA.

Rogue

macrumors newbie
Jan 25, 2002
how about something to do with home automation from Apple. That could be part of the digital hub.

AJW

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2001
i3D, 3D Pro Studio

Apple buys SGI, then

Maya >> 3D Pro Studio

iMaya (pared down version) >> i3D

cryptochrome

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2002
Originally posted by Rogue
how about something to do with home automation from Apple. That could be part of the digital hub.

I think you'd need something to automate before that would be of any use. Besides electronics, there aren't a whole lot of things that are automatable.

kiwi_the_iwik

macrumors 65816
Oct 30, 2001
London, UK
It would be unwise to suggest that Steve Jobs would bow to the will of the few who would want to buy a PDA. Since the Newton was actually a financial loss-maker, AND was around at the time that Gil Amelio was at the helm of Apple, I doubt that Steve would even look down that avenue, because there was no love lost between them. Even in the beginning, the Mac Development Team seperated itself from the main unit that was Apple, who at the time was producing the most successful personal home computer in history - the Apple II. That proves that Mr. Jobs is a person who will focus on one specific project, and run with it. His whole idea of streamlining the Mac product line in 1997 made perfect sense. Trim the fat, and run a lean, tight ship - and it shows in Apple's revenue in the past 5 years.

Don't get me wrong - the Newton was WAY ahead of it's time - and I rushed out and bought one in 1994. It still sits proudly next to my Cube (Boy - can I pick the winning hardware, or what!?!?). But eyelikeart is right - enough on this PDA thing. It ain't gonna happen.

Getting back on topic though - I digress - how about iPlay?

A more elaborate method of gameplay with virtual headset support, force feedback and more intuitive tools for game software manufacturers.

wrylachlan

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2002
iDictate

this seems like a no-brainer to me. In the next revision of the iPod stick a crappy microphone in it. Let folks dictate into it and when you plug it into your mac it turns it into text. You can set it up to automatically send the text to MS Word or Nissus or whatever it is you use. And since every mac has a mic in it you could dictate right from your desk if you want. But I think the real selling point will be the dictation on the road with iPod.

While on the iPod, I will eat my shirt if we don't see the iPod with a full color screen and the ability to play those iPhoto slide shows within the year.

jail

macrumors newbie
Jan 19, 2002
Australia
Re: i3D, 3D Pro Studio

Originally posted by AJW
Apple buys SGI, then

Maya >> 3D Pro Studio

iMaya (pared down version) >> i3D
i don't think maya has a future, it is just too expencive. a program sells good when a lot of people own it, not when only a few companies can afford it.

but i do agree that there should be a simple, but powerfull 3D program, it would sell well, if it was cheap, 3D programs are way to costly for the home user, but every one would love to play around with a simple 3D program. it could have all the basic shapes, a decent texture editor, and be able to import objects from other programs.

j763

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2001
Champaign, IL, USA
The Human Interface

I don't really know - but I'd imagine that using a computer just by moving your eyes is a bit far off... But I think that Voice Recognition/Activation should be getting closer to working by now - it's been around for a while now... Surely it's moved on since I last used it...

L

littlejim

Re: Its to have a browser from APPLE

Originally posted by jaykk
What I am looking for is a better browser.. either apple should work with Netscape or come up with its own..
read the following article titled "Own It All, Apple, Please: Homepage, iPhoto, Netscape 6, & The Problems"
http://www.macobserver.com/editorial/2002/01/25.1.shtml
Hmmmm - have a look at this link!!

Netscape and Apple Announce Plans to Develop Netscape Navigator for Apple's Cyberdog.

http://product.info.apple.com/pr/press.releases/1996/q4/960827.pr.rel.netscape.html .

Not quite cutting edge news I'm afraid!

---------
littleJim

ilikeiBook

macrumors regular
Jan 27, 2002
Re: iSurf?

Originally posted by jail
what about iSurf? IE is microsoft so meaning it sucks, but also to is too slow, and doesn't do enough. Netscape is getting too complicated now, and the rest aren't really very reliable. Apple should give us a browser that's upto standard with OS X (ie, fast, easy, powerfull, elegant).

iSurf would be good, probably alot better than anything microsoft or netscape could do. After all, the iMac and iBook were designed to be your internet co-pilot. An Apple browser would be ideal.

whfsdude

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2002
Washington DC
Digital Hub is missing communication. But maybe the next big thing will be the power to send matter over the next. hehe or maybe apple is doing some kind broadband thing with metaphysics and it will throw the usa into a state of anarchy, just a thought

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.